Can any one assist - no contract+no pay

Hello all, let me know if I am posting in the wrong area.....I have had a nightmare!
I have recently been "employed" within a company where they have never given me a contract.
I have been there since November and was employed to sell life insurance over the phone on a commission only basis.....
I walked out last week after no payments, no contract and being sick of them continually lying to me and not paying what I thought we were going to get paid.
I believe I have sold about £10,000 worth of commission and the agreement was to go halves.
They were supposed to provide the leads and because I had worked in the financial services sector before, I would do the selling. Since Feb, they didn't get me a lead and suggested I find the leads instead (I suppose I should have left at this point) but I assumed that if I started selling, they would start providing leads and we would all benefit.
So, I left last week after 0 leads and no commission paid. I am now totally skint and looking for a new job. Is there anything I can do to get my money or I have just been a fool in letting them get away without a contract of employment?
Thanks
JJ

Replies

• lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There is a contract of employment - you agreed to work for them for half the commission (whatever that is) - but it is not in writing.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thanks, so what can I do? Acas only help employed people, I do not know where to turn..
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are certain the company owe you a specific amount of money and despite you asking for this they have refused to pay you, you send them a Letter Before Action and make a claim for the amount owed via Money Claim OnLine. This is a last resort if the company refuse to pay what you believe you are owed
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • If I can add to what has just been said, you are going to want to establish a 'cause of action' if/when you file a Claim.

Your cause of action is Breach of Contract.

It helps if contracts are written down because it helps avoid "he said/she said" but a contract is still binding, even if it is oral only.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum