Working Notice

I have recently been asked to work my notice which is 10 weeks as the current contract I am on ends in June. I have also been given my redundancy date and the amount that I am to receive. The contract is more than likely to get extended again for a further 3 month period at the end of June but by then I will have worked my notice. My company will then extend my notice for each trip I work offshore, basically I am on a zero hour contract. I have been through this before with the same company last year when my notice was extended more than 6 times. How long can a company legally keep extending your notice??

Replies

• UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jockpomb wrote: »
    I have recently been asked to work my notice which is 10 weeks as the current contract I am on ends in June. I have also been given my redundancy date and the amount that I am to receive. The contract is more than likely to get extended again for a further 3 month period at the end of June but by then I will have worked my notice. My company will then extend my notice for each trip I work offshore, basically I am on a zero hour contract. I have been through this before with the same company last year when my notice was extended more than 6 times. How long can a company legally keep extending your notice??

Sorry but I don't understand.

If you are on a zero hour contract then notice is almost meaningless. With a zero hour contract you are free to turn down any work offered so, in effect, you don't need to give any notice. You can simply say "here is ten weeks notice but I am not available during that time".
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals