Ppi remediation case

Hi
I'm new to the forum so apologise in advance if I'm in the wrong place. I recently contacted black horse to request that they reopen my rejected ppi case in 2012. I was informed that they had reopened it in 2015 as this was a remediation case but I did not respond so it was again rejected? I had moved house in 2015 so never received the letter. What do I do? Should I just give up? Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Time bars are strict and if enforced correctly cannot be changed.

I am not sure what prompted you to think you can ask for rejected cases to be re-opened, as they can't be unless the bank chooses to do so e.g. if they notice errors in the way an employee did things, certainly they cannot just be done on the whim of a customer. You had 6 months after rejection to go to the FOS - did you do so? Did you set up a mail redirect after moving or inform them of the address move? If they sent the letter in good faith to the address they hold for you all you can do is ask them nicely to consider opening it because of the address move but there is no reason they have to.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What did they say when you told them you had moved house since then and had not received the letter?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nic.
    Nic. Posts: 4 Newbie
    It was after reading it on this site that I was prompted to ask them to reopen it. No i didn't go to the FOS I didn't think there was any point really asorry I just assumed they knew what they were doing. I had my mail redirected for 6 months but did not receive any correspondence from them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nic. wrote: »
    It was after reading it on this site that I was prompted to ask them to reopen it. No i didn't go to the FOS I didn't think there was any point really asorry I just assumed they knew what they were doing. I had my mail redirected for 6 months but did not receive any correspondence from them.

Unfortunately the MSE site often gives bad advice, you cannot ask banks to re-open rejected complaints despite what Martin and Co would have you believe
  • Nic.
    When does the time bar start? Would it be 3 years from my inital complaint or 3 years since they reopened it?
  • Nasqueron
    Nic. wrote: »
    When does the time bar start? Would it be 3 years from my inital complaint or 3 years since they reopened it?

With regards to PPI cases there are 3 rules

After a rejection you have 6 months to refer to the FOS
    The 3 year rule is 3 years from the point you realised you had reason to complain, this can include cancelling the policy or the bank sending a customer contact letter inviting you to complain
    The 6 year rule is 6 years from taking out the policy

With the 3/6 year rule it's whichever is longer

You do not get another 3 years just because they re-examined the case, your complaint was opened, rejected and closed and you didn't go to the FOS so the case is time barred unless they agree to re-open it on the basis you moved and didn't get their letter
  • Nic.
    Thanks for your reply. Very helpful
  • Nasqueron
    It's worth you asking them to look at it (given they agreed to earlier) on the basis you had moved and didn't get the letter but I wouldn't hold out any hope and you may get lucky (though no guarantee they were saying you were miss-sold, just that they'd review)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure