HSBC Mortgage Application / Underwriting

Options
K123456789
K123456789 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 23 April 2017 at 10:13AM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi

Has anyone recently applied for a HSBC mortgage and should I worry (which I am doing) that it's been referred to underwriting for approval?

I used to use my credit cards for day to day items (petrol, food, etc (for ease)) but paid if off in full each month but stopped doing that (6 weeks ago); I just use my debit card now for these items so my monthly credit card statements are only a few pounds + Just cleared my loan as well so I have no debt.

Any advice? Previous Experience? will be great - Thanks

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    underwriting is done for a variety of reasons, be it audit/compliance or queries. Just give them what they ask for, otherwise you have wait i'm afraid
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • K123456789
    Options
    Thanks

If it's gone to Underwriting does that mean I have passed their 'credit check' and this is now purely for audit/compliance or queries purposes now? Thanks
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    K123456789 wrote: »
    Thanks

If it's gone to Underwriting does that mean I have passed their 'credit check' and this is now purely for audit/compliance or queries purposes now? Thanks

Passing credit check is irrelevant as you can pass and you can still get rejected for a variety of reasons, be it income not matching, not being in a job for x period
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • 77588p
    77588p Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just been through the process with HSBC.

To start with they were fantastic. Everything done so quickly. Underwriters passed the application and i receieved an offer subject to valuation. Thats how HSBC do their offers.

Valuation came back and was fine. Got a phone call to say offer will be out that day.

Phone call 2 days later to say its been declined due to not delaring an outgoing which I absolutely did declare. They even went through my statements with a fine tooth comb and asking me questions about payments etc so they could see the outgoing then and passed it.

The underwriter agreed but said now its been declined his hands are tied.

I should have just gone with Nationwide.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    77588p wrote: »
    Everything done so quickly. Underwriters passed the application and i receieved an offer subject to valuation. Thats how HSBC do their offers.

What form did this "offer" take, i.e. a letter, a verbal conversation?
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like a possible faita compli to me!
  • K123456789
    Options
    That's not good.

Was it a big outgoing amount that they missed off? / did you manage to get a Mortgage with nationwide.
  • 77588p
    77588p Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Our online application status changed to 'offer' and we got a text saying the application was approved subject to valuation.

No we have not applied to Nationwide yet. Im waiting to see if someone from HSBC has any common sense and changes the decision because ita their error.
  • xcmdx
    xcmdx Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently doing mine through the branch. It was originally rejected due to adverse credit but they have now apparently put through an appeal to the underwriters, any suggestion on how long this will take for a decision? the suspense is killing me.
  • K123456789
    Options
    I guess it'll go in the queue again.

They told me that it'll take 3-5 working days.

Tell me about it, it's killing me too ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport