Bounced cheque procedure.

Options
A friend gave me a cheque,which I deposited last week. Yesterday I checked my account and saw "Cheque returned" on my account.
Today received a letter from my bank with a photocopy of the cheque with "Suspected Fraudulent/Counterfeit Cheque" stamped across it.
Should I have received the original cheque back? Or is it possible that after I deposited the cheque, it got photocopied and the photocopy was presented for clearing?

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If they think it's counterfeit they won't be giving it back.

Unlikely anything happened to the cheque after you deposited it.

Ask your friend to do a bank transfer.
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My only experience with a" bounced" cheque meant that the original cheque was returned to me with a note saying " Insufficient funds" refer to drawer.

I can't think any bank would photocopy a cheque and then try and clear the photocopy.

If the endorsement says suspect fraudulent item, I think the bank may have kept the original for further investigation.

You will have to ring your bank for more details.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Razorbite wrote: »
    A friend gave me a cheque,which I deposited last week. Yesterday I checked my account and saw "Cheque returned" on my account.
    Today received a letter from my bank with a photocopy of the cheque with "Suspected Fraudulent/Counterfeit Cheque" stamped across it.
    Should I have received the original cheque back? Or is it possible that after I deposited the cheque, it got photocopied and the photocopy was presented for clearing?

A few questions if you do not mind?
    1 Was the cheque drawn on an account by your friend?
    2 Were you expecting the funds or did the friend owe you this sum?
    3 Did your friend ask you to pay the cheque into your account as a ''favour'' due to perhaps a problem with his own bank?
    4 If the cheque was not drawn on your friend's account how did it find its way into your account?

Your friend would not give you a dud cheque would he? So there must be more to this.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A few questions if you do not mind?
    1 Was the cheque drawn on an account by your friend?
    2 Were you expecting the funds or did the friend owe you this sum?
    3 Did your friend ask you to pay the cheque into your account as a ''favour'' due to perhaps a problem with his own bank?
    4 If the cheque was not drawn on your friend's account how did it find its way into your account?

Your friend would not give you a dud cheque would he? So there must be more to this.

Won't be long till the op's account is closed by the bank.
  • Razorbite
    Razorbite Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    My friend is computer illiterate and still in the dark ages when it comes to online banking etc. We just returned from holiday which I had booked online and used my card to pay for meals etc(he also hasn't got a credit card).
    So the cheque was payment for that. He wrote the cheque in front of me(not any issues there,we've known each other over 30 years), so a genuine cheque from his account,made out to me.
    Cannot see any reason for the cheque to bounce or be considered fraudulent.
    Any point popping into a branch Monday? or just ring my bank? or my friend ring his? or both?
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your bank won't tell you anything but, if you're friend has done nothing wrong, he should definitely contact his. It appears to me that the bank thinks tha actual cheque is a copy or something.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Tell your friend to go to his own bank with the letter and copy of the cheque and complain.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    It's your bank who have stopped the cheque. They stamped the cheque 'fraudulent' and then sent a copy to you for info in the letter. Not sure what they have done with the original - maybe sent it back to your friend's bank.

You could go into your branch with the letter and asked why they stopped a perfectly good cheque.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    mt99 wrote: »
    It's your bank who have stopped the cheque. They stamped the cheque 'fraudulent' and then sent a copy to you for info in the letter. Not sure what they have done with the original - maybe sent it back to your friend's bank.

You could go into your branch with the letter and asked why they stopped a perfectly good cheque.

No. It is the friend who must complain to his bank. He (the drawer) is the only one who can say it was a perfectly good cheque, not the payee.
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    No. It is the friend who must complain to his bank. He (the drawer) is the only one who can say it was a perfectly good cheque, not the payee.

There is a small chance that your bank didn't put it through the clearing - that's pretty unlikely unless it was an obvious fake or alternation. So nothing you can do with your bank.

It's far more like your friends bank returned it as counterfeit. Your bank probably wouldn't have received it back - you don't give a fake cheque back for it to be paid in again....

The details of his bank might be annotated on the cheque too somewhere near the return reason. Your friend will need to speak to his bank to understand what has gone on. It's possible, I guess, that they screwed up the reason e.g. lack of funds, or they stopped a whole book of cheques due to theft/fraud by a third party.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure