We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I Have Missed The MCOL Defence Submission Deadline Date

Hello,


I need help desperately and would be extremely grateful for some kind assistance. A county court claim was recently made against me by Pace Recovery and Storage for an alleged breach of the terms of parking on the land behind a shop in Surrey. I proceeded to submit my Acknowledgment of Service on MCOL within the required deadline, however I got the deadline for filing my defence horribly wrong and now appear to have missed it. As a result, the MCOL site even rejects all my
attempts to log on to submit the defence.


What contributed mostly to this aberration is that I submitted a CPR 31.14 request to the claimant's solicitors, giving them 14 days to respond to my request. This 14 day deadline officially ended today and not surprisingly, I have to date received no response from the solicitor. It was therefore my intention to include this bit of information as part of my defence to be submitted on MCOL today.


Other important dates relating to this case are as follows:


Claim Issue Date: 10th March 2017
Day of Service: 15th March 2017
Acknowledgment of Service: 27th March 2017


I am at a loss now what to do, as I certainly don't wish to pay this claim and I definitely wish to submit a defence.


Someone please, please, help.


Thank you.

Comments

  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Had you overshot by a day or two it is always worth a try and submit a defence - albeit late, I suspect that 10 days over is too much.

    Use the log-in details provided on the Claim Form (centre-right box on the front page) to see if the case has been finalised yet, If it hasn't then filing a defence now (over the weekend) might just sneak through.

    If judgment has already been given to the Claimant then there really is only one solution (to avoid the inevitable CCJ and that is to pay up asap). I cannot see any valid claim you might file for a set aside.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

    For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I agree, fling a defence in over the weekend if it's not showing as finalised on MCOL. Read other similar ones and just do it.

    MCOL might be rejecting just because the password and system is odd. You could always try emailing a defence as a PDF (no mention of missing a deadline, just submit it) and hope.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.