We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
PCN from NPE whilst arranging funeral
Autolycus2000
Posts: 66 Forumite
Hi,
I have received a NtK from National Parking Enforcement (which seems to the new name for Norfolk Parking Enforcement).
It shows two photos of my car parked at a Co-op store and the reason for issue is "non patron". They are taken from high up so are presumably from a CCTV camera positioned on a pole or on the roof of the shop.
On the day in question, the driver didn't use the shop but had been visiting the Co-op Funeral Services (next door to the Co-op shop) to arrange a relative's funeral. The driver had been told when booking the appointment at the undertaker's that the Co-op shop was right next door and so parked in the shop car park not realising that there was another car park next door at the Funeral Services building.
I have spoken to the undertaker and said that I'm quite capable of fighting/ignoring the invoice but that I'd rather avoid the admin hassle of that if I can. So I asked them to contact NPE and get the PCN cancelled on the basis that the driver clearly was a patron of Co-op (just the funeral bit rather than the fruit & veg bit). I told the undertaker who was driving but gave her strict instructions not to share this info with NPE and to insist the charge be cancelled rather than, as she'd suggested initially, ask that it be reconsidered. She said she would do this and call me back.
She called back and said the only options on the phone were to pay the charge so they would email NPE instead and copy me in.
I never saw that email so assume it wasn't actually sent. However, within the hour I got a voicemail from the undertaker saying her manager had "spoken to the people concerned" and that fine (sic) will be cancelled.
So my questions now are:
1. How do NPE know if someone is a patron or not? Do they have someone watching to see if the driver of the car goes in/out of the shop?
2. Having had that message from the undertaker, should I do anything else - e.g.
ask for confirmation in writing that the charge has been cancelled,
submit an appeal anyway (belt and braces),
complain to Co-op's CEO about NPE (for the benefit of other shoppers in the future)
complain to NPE about misuse of personal data
I have received a NtK from National Parking Enforcement (which seems to the new name for Norfolk Parking Enforcement).
It shows two photos of my car parked at a Co-op store and the reason for issue is "non patron". They are taken from high up so are presumably from a CCTV camera positioned on a pole or on the roof of the shop.
On the day in question, the driver didn't use the shop but had been visiting the Co-op Funeral Services (next door to the Co-op shop) to arrange a relative's funeral. The driver had been told when booking the appointment at the undertaker's that the Co-op shop was right next door and so parked in the shop car park not realising that there was another car park next door at the Funeral Services building.
I have spoken to the undertaker and said that I'm quite capable of fighting/ignoring the invoice but that I'd rather avoid the admin hassle of that if I can. So I asked them to contact NPE and get the PCN cancelled on the basis that the driver clearly was a patron of Co-op (just the funeral bit rather than the fruit & veg bit). I told the undertaker who was driving but gave her strict instructions not to share this info with NPE and to insist the charge be cancelled rather than, as she'd suggested initially, ask that it be reconsidered. She said she would do this and call me back.
She called back and said the only options on the phone were to pay the charge so they would email NPE instead and copy me in.
I never saw that email so assume it wasn't actually sent. However, within the hour I got a voicemail from the undertaker saying her manager had "spoken to the people concerned" and that fine (sic) will be cancelled.
So my questions now are:
1. How do NPE know if someone is a patron or not? Do they have someone watching to see if the driver of the car goes in/out of the shop?
2. Having had that message from the undertaker, should I do anything else - e.g.
ask for confirmation in writing that the charge has been cancelled,
submit an appeal anyway (belt and braces),
complain to Co-op's CEO about NPE (for the benefit of other shoppers in the future)
complain to NPE about misuse of personal data
0
Comments
-
search these all in one line : Ibotson miss coates Vcs toothbrush.
more laterFrom the Plain Language Commission:
"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"0 -
If I didn't know better I'd say you'd got a bet running with a mate to see which of you could use all of the words Ibotson miss coates Vcs toothbrush in a single sentence before lunchtime. ;-)
Ok. Tank you. Will go and search.....0 -
LOL. Just read the full judgement.
So I guess that answers my first question - there must have been an attendant watching the occupants of the car leave the site. If so, they did not notice him - although, given the purpose of their visit I suspect their minds may have been on other things.
Any thoughts on my question 2 please anyone?0 -
This may well be the same site where NPE are issuing NtKs for abuse of Parent and Child bays. No tickets on windscreens, no sign of boots on the ground, so the presumption is they're doing a 'big brother' via CCTV.
I think there are some strict laws around the use of CCTV. I don't know what they are, but have a dig around, and if you find there are some issues it would be time to complain to the DVLA and the local Trading Standards.
There were some cases way back where a PPC was using CCTV to monitor cars going 'wrong way' into a shopping precinct and issuing NtKs. NPE springs to mind in that instance.
You dig around the laws on CCTV usage and I'll dig up the old case.Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.#Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street0 -
This may well be the same site where NPE are issuing NtKs for abuse of Parent and Child bays. No tickets on windscreens, no sign of boots on the ground, so the presumption is they're doing a 'big brother' via CCTV.
....
There were some cases way back where a PPC was using CCTV to monitor cars going 'wrong way' into a shopping precinct and issuing NtKs. NPE springs to mind in that instance.
Yes, I came across some of those cases once I started searching the forum for NPE and/or Co-op. Those all seemed to be for a Co-op site in Norfolk if I remember rightly. My case involves a Co-op site in Essex.0 -
Same dog, different kennel. They have 'form'. Check out the legalities of CCTV and its use in monitoring vehicles.Those all seemed to be for a Co-op site in Norfolk if I remember rightly. My case involves a Co-op site in Essex.
This is the case of driving the 'wrong way' into a shopping centre.
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/motorists-stung-for-using-wrong-entrance-to-norwich-car-park-but-complaints-spark-u-turn-1-3911665Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.#Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street0 -
I'll have a look at the CCTV stuff when I've got a bit more time, but hopefully it won't be required if what Co-op have said about the charge being cancelled is true.
Meanwhile does anyone have a view on whether I need to be doing any of the things listed in question 2 of my original post below please?0 -
Autolycus2000 wrote: »I'll have a look at the CCTV stuff when I've got a bit more time, but hopefully it won't be required if what Co-op have said about the charge being cancelled is true.
Meanwhile does anyone have a view on whether I need to be doing any of the things listed in question 2 of my original post below please?
Get it in writing from the undertaker. Email him, thank him for his intervention and ask if he could just confirm cancellation with a quick reply to the email. Least effort for him.
Have you checked the NPE website to see if your ticket is still 'live'?
If you get a reply from the undertaker and ticket is still looking ve, use the appropriate initial appeal from the NEWBIES sticky, with a final line to indicate the undertaker has cancelled - and here's confirmation!Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.#Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street0 -
Have you checked the NPE website to see if your ticket is still 'live'?
Ah, yes - thank you. Sometimes it takes a third party to point out the bleedin' obvious!
No, I hadn't checked that, but I have now. I have entered my combination of ref number and registration number on both the appeals page and the payment page and in both cases it says the ticket can't be found.
So it looks like it has indeed been cancelled, but I'll ask for a confirmation email from the undertaker just to be on the safe side.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
