Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Depends what you want to achieve.
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'd say weights, if it has to be one or the other, but weights with some HIIT would be best. Weights will help with all kinds, like bone density & maintaining muscle not just fitness (plus some weights are fun!)
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Both for me!!!!

I would do more weights if I was to write it down and look at it but cardio twice a week as well.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would definitely say both, because cardio obviously trains the heart and lungs, and weights/resistance helps core strength and joints and muscles. It is quite easy to combine both in a 1 hour session:

10 minutes warmup cardio/dynamic stretching

20/30 minutes main cardio at higher intensity than warmup

10/20 minute weights/resistance

10 minutes cardio cooldown/static stretches

There are two cardio machines - cyclops rower and cross trainer - which will give an excellent cardio workout, as well as toning a wide range of muscles.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 April 2017 at 1:16PM
    andygb wrote: »
    There are two cardio machines - cyclops rower and cross trainer - which will give an excellent cardio workout, as well as toning a wide range of muscles.

A cardio machine (or any machine for that matter) doesnt have any special "toning" properties.

A "toned" appearance is achieved through reducing the subcutaneous bodyfat, which is through good nutrition and exercise. Of course you need the muscles to see, which is achieved through resistance training.
  • andygb
    edited 22 April 2017 at 2:40PM
    A cardio machine (or any machine for that matter) doesnt have any special "toning" properties.

A "toned" appearance is achieved through reducing the subcutaneous bodyfat, which is through good nutrition and exercise. Of course you need the muscles to see, which is achieved through resistance training.

Believe me, if you use a cross trainer or rowing machine correctly, maintaining correct technique, then you will be getting plenty of resistance exercise.
    Competitive cyclists have plenty of lean, well toned muscle on their legs, and it isn't because they work out at a gym, it is through the hours they spend on a bike - which is of course cardio exercise.
    Good nutrition alone will not tone up your muscles.
    If you only spent time on a treadmill, then eventually you would see improved muscle tone in the Quadriceps, hamstrings, gastrocnemus and soleus muscles.

Please read this.

http://www.rowingmachineking.com/what-does-a-rowing-machine-do-for-your-body/

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/scorch-fat-full-body-cross-trainer-workout

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I am a qualified fitness instructor.
  • parking_question_chap
    edited 22 April 2017 at 3:40PM
    Believe me, if you use a cross trainer or rowing machine correctly, maintaining correct technique, then you will be getting plenty of resistance exercise.
    Competitive cyclists have plenty of lean, well toned muscle on their legs, and it isn't because they work out at a gym, it is through the hours they spend on a bike - which is of course cardio exercise.
    Good nutrition alone will not tone up your muscles.
    If you only spent time on a treadmill, then eventually you would see improved muscle tone in the Quadriceps, hamstrings, gastrocnemus and soleus muscles.

Please read this.

http://www.rowingmachineking.com/what-does-a-rowing-machine-do-for-your-body/

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/scorch-fat-full-body-cross-trainer-workout

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. I am a qualified fitness instructor.

You do realise that websites, such as the rowing machine one you have posted, are built with the sole intention of creating revenue through sale of rowing machines? You do realise that right?

Please could you elaborate on what you mean by "tone" a muscle.

And I never said good nutrition alone will achieve this.

Yes, I qualified as an instrutor in the mid naughties, doesnt really mean anything though. Pretty easy to pass and very limited knowledged gained.

And competitive cyclists not working out at a gym? Cant say I agree with that comment.
  • andygb
    You do realise that websites, such as the rowing machine one you have posted, are built with the sole intention of creating revenue through sale of rowing machines? You do realise that right?

Please could you elaborate on what you mean by "tone" a muscle.

And I never said good nutrition alone will achieve this.

Yes, I qualified as an instrutor in the mid naughties, doesnt really mean anything though. Pretty easy to pass and very limited knowledged gained.

And competitive cyclists not working out at a gym? Cant say I agree with that comment.

Muscle tone is the definition of the muscle, its ability to withstand stretching when at rest. Muscle tone will help with posture and even make everyday tasks easier to complete.
    It appears that you did gain very limited knowledge;)
    I used to race bikes competitively on the road (track sprinters spend a fair time in the gym), and apart from Winter circuit training, ALL our training was done on the bike, which consisted of steady state long miles, intervals and recovery, plus indoor work on rollers or turbo training to improve "souplesse" - the art of pedalling correctly.
  • parking_question_chap
    edited 23 April 2017 at 3:26PM
    Muscle tone is the definition of the muscle, its ability to withstand stretching when at rest. Muscle tone will help with posture and even make everyday tasks easier to complete.
    It appears that you did gain very limited knowledge;)
    I used to race bikes competitively on the road (track sprinters spend a fair time in the gym), and apart from Winter circuit training, ALL our training was done on the bike, which consisted of steady state long miles, intervals and recovery, plus indoor work on rollers or turbo training to improve "souplesse" - the art of pedalling correctly.

No need to patronise with the knowledge remark, we know nothing about eachother.

Back on topic. How would machines help you to achieve "toned muscle" compared to say, for example, a routine based on HIIT sprint training and free weights? I am specificlly interested in the physical adaptations that (you think) happen when using machines that cannot be achieved through other means.

And the term "muscle definition". Please could you explain what you mean by that?
  • andygb
    No need to patronise with the knowledge remark, we know nothing about eachother.

Back on topic. How would machines help you to achieve "toned muscle" compared to say, for example, a routine based on HIIT sprint training and free weights? I am specificlly interested in the physical adaptations that (you think) happen when using machines that cannot be achieved through other means.

And the term "muscle definition". Please could you explain what you mean by that?

I still cannot believe that you are arguing about this.

http://www.fitnesshealth101.com/fitness/weight-loss/programs/muscle-toning

http://www.bestwomensworkoutreviews.com/benefits-of-rowing-machine-workouts

You seem to think that you have more knowledge than everyone else, and didn't learn much from your PT course.
    Maybe you didn't learn much because you refused to accept what your tutor or the manuals were saying?

http://www.rowingreviewshubcom.com/top-5-rowing-machine-benefits/

Both rowers and eliptical trainers are cardio machines, which also provide varying degrees of resistance, thus helping to tone/build muscle.
    In my very first post, I stated that I would use a mixture of cardio/weights/resistance, so I don't quite understand what your problem is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure