Dont like new laptop. My rights on return?

Options
Bought a new laptop last Monday from Tesco. I'm not happy with it at all, it takes ages to boot up on starting, the curser sticks every so often (maybe 5 times in 15 mins use) the pages take a lifetime to load and its forever 'freezing' then I have to wait a few mins for it to move on.

I want to return it. When we bought it the guy in store said 'If you don't like it you can return it within 30 days' That's also written on the back of the pocket the receipt is stapled to saying you can have an exchange or full refund.

Before I go back I just wondered if it is as simple as that. I mean its not going to be re-saleable with it being used.

I'm thinking they may start blaming my broadband or something. My son has a different laptop connected to the same service and that's fine.

I really don't like the laptop, its so sluggish so rather than struggle on and just put up with it (which I know will really start to annoy me!) I would rather exchange it.
Does it sound likely I would be able to do that? After all we were told we could and the paperwork says we can so it should be straight forward but I ant help but think there will be a catch,

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely the only way you can find out is to return it to Tesco and ask them.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dont mention the internet .
    Just say its very slow to load and freezes .
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Bought a new laptop last Monday from Tesco. I'm not happy with it at all, it takes ages to boot up on starting, the curser sticks every so often (maybe 5 times in 15 mins use) the pages take a lifetime to load and its forever 'freezing' then I have to wait a few mins for it to move on.

I want to return it. When we bought it the guy in store said 'If you don't like it you can return it within 30 days' That's also written on the back of the pocket the receipt is stapled to saying you can have an exchange or full refund.

Before I go back I just wondered if it is as simple as that. I mean its not going to be re-saleable with it being used.

I'm thinking they may start blaming my broadband or something. My son has a different laptop connected to the same service and that's fine.

I really don't like the laptop, its so sluggish so rather than struggle on and just put up with it (which I know will really start to annoy me!) I would rather exchange it.
    Does it sound likely I would be able to do that? After all we were told we could and the paperwork says we can so it should be straight forward but I ant help but think there will be a catch,

I think it will be simple. However I agree with the comment you need to ask Tesco to find out for certain.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I know the only way to know is to return it and see, I was just looking for tips and ideas what argument I may be up against doing so. Thank you JJ for the 'don't mention the internet'. I wont, I will concentrate on the slow and constant freezing.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Go back to them and see what they say.

However you may find its just not a very good laptop - the freezing you describe is typical of processor/ram issues (basically the computer trying to cope with a load thats too much for it to handle at one time).

What were the specs and what are you trying to do on it? Did it have bloatware preinstalled? What have you got running on startup?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    "the curser sticks every so often". Are the profanities bearable or is it really bad?
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    are you sure it was not performing system updates which is causing it to run slow and freeze? Is it upto spec for what you are trying to do ie ram, processor speed, graphics card?
  • ARandomMiser
    ARandomMiser Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    What is the specification?
    New computers can sometimes be slow as they download and install updates.
    IITYYHTBMAD
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that if it's in writing it's legally binding. If it was only verbally promised not so.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If cheap new laptops aren't set up properly they are slow, like mentioned above stop the bloatware and allow all updates then usually fine. Even a £300 laptop will perform well if its just used for browsing PROVIDED it isn't trying to do 17 other things (that you don't know about or want it to do) at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure