PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Evicting my tenants

Options
1235»

Comments

• Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmaginness wrote: »
    Hi, i wondered if anyone can help advise on the best way to evict my tenants as soon as I can as I wish to sell my house.

We are buying another property and I don't want to have to pay second property stamp duty which is a lot of money seeing as I want to sell the house and will not be gaining from it

The AST finished at beginning March, 2017, my tenants signed up for a 6 month contract, but they are refusing to leave until they get a council house

I am serving a section 21 today with a lawyer so everything should be ok and not rejected. I have a DPS and have always repaired the house when asked

My questions are:
    - Will the council now prioritise the tenants as they have an S21 for a new council house to avoid court?
    - If we do go to court can i claim back any court costs?
    - Am I legally allowed to sell the house with them as tenants, bearing in mind that another landlord will have to take them on which I imagine is unlikely
    - are there any ways of getting them higher on the Council list priority list? 1 tenant works (but is now off with stress!) 1 doesn't and they have 3 children.

I cant afford to go to court just because they don't want to leave, and I quote they 'want a garden'!!

this will cost me thousands in second stamp duty and also who knows what in court fees which just isnt fair!

Any help appreciated

thanks
    It should take about 6 months to evict and obviously no rental income and approx. £2000 in costs they have more rights than you and the contract is only binding on Landlords side:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    It should take about 6 months to evict and obviously no rental income and approx. £2000 in costs they have more rights than you and the contract is only binding on Landlords side:)

There will be rental income if the tenants want council housing, no rent equals intentionally homeless which means no local authority housing!
  • Leo2020
    Leo2020 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    Where do you live please?

Sheffield. I know someone who asked their landlord to evict them so they could get a council property and just write a letter to that effect. Someone who got their mother to write a letter saying they were being thrown out and both times they got a council house.

Also a landlord that has written letters for their tenants saying they were being evicted and these were taken to the council and their tenants given council homes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure