Dumped by parents - property overseas help!

Options
13»

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You would need to reply to the solicitor via a solicitor of your own.

I would be demanding at least half of the amount you have spent out (provide all receipts/bank statements/other evidence) as well as an agreement from her to pay half of all future charges/bills/taxes/insurance etc. for the property. You may also wish to get some money back for all of the soft furnishings or trips out to sort everything.

I would also get a formal agreement to the amount of time each of you can stay out there per visit/what moths etc. Whatever works for you both.

Keep in mind that family and friends (yours and hers) may want to stay during the summer, and you might fancy getting some winter sun, so giving her 3 months now may be good or bad depending on how you intended to use the property.

Make sure all agreements are drawn up formally in a contract so that neither party can be accused of deceit or taking the 'p'!
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for advice.
    I should also have explained, I want to spend the minimum amount of money and time on resolving this as I honestly want nothing to do with her. Even if that is communicating via solicitors.
    The money was spent 8 months ago. I can / could account for probably most of the costs, especially the large bills, but it would take time (and money) to pull it together.
    My preference would be for her to go away and never come near me again, without any money changing hands.
    Unfortunately because of the type of narcissistic person she is, she will get pleasure from knowing this would upset me, and will happily string this along forever more, whilst telling the world what a bad person I am!
    Very grateful for the feedback
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    The bubble of course was bound to burst. I have not spoken a single word to either parent since before starting this thread. They refused to assist probably knowing I was about to find out about the 7 years of debt. I have recently had a letter from my mothers solicitor saying she intended to go and stay in the apartment for 3 months and if I don't give her a key, she will get a locksmith to change the locks. She also wanted me to agree to changing the ownership whereby she becomes a 50% shareholder as part of her divorce settlement from my step father.

she has told numerous relatives I am preventing her access (I haven't spoken to her since last April!)

Any thoughts??
    Get a solicitor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Time to get a solicitor I think. Really. Now. Someone who can speak English and Spanish, understand British and Spanish Law.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ceebeeby wrote: »
    Please can I reopen the saga ....

Here we are 8 months and £9000 later and "I" have a beautiful apartment that it turns out, I saved from repossession with only 5 days to go.

I've subsequently stayed in the apartment numerous times and turned it into a home, including furnishing / soft furnishings ... numerous repairs etc. Put simply, I love it there.

The bubble of course was bound to burst. I have not spoken a single word to either parent since before starting this thread. They refused to assist probably knowing I was about to find out about the 7 years of debt. I have recently had a letter from my mothers solicitor saying she intended to go and stay in the apartment for 3 months and if I don't give her a key, she will get a locksmith to change the locks. She also wanted me to agree to changing the ownership whereby she becomes a 50% shareholder as part of her divorce settlement from my step father.

she has told numerous relatives I am preventing her access (I haven't spoken to her since last April!)

Any thoughts??
    Sorry to learn about the debt. I am not surprised. I can see more trouble ahead and a lot of heartache for you. It might have been better for you if the house had been repossessed.
    I would employ a Spanish solicitor (abogado) get an accurate estimate of the value. Offer to sell (or most likely gift :eek:) her your half.

It is not fair, it is not right, but it is time to cut your losses.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • vicki2221
    vicki2221 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel like this thread might be better suited to the House Buying Selling or Renting board? Also, that board is a lot busier so you are likely to get many more replies. The people on that board often have experience in disputes like this.

I hope you get it resolved. I really don't think you should gift your mum your half, personally.
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So why post ? Maybe in preparation for your Florida-based garden furniture spam attack ?
    :dance: helpful post alert :dance:

You are a loss to DT.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    Offer to sell (or most likely gift :eek:) her your half.

It is not fair, it is not right, but it is time to cut your losses.

If that's the cost of her never coming near me again ... honestly, I'm about ready to agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure