PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to move to diverse outskirts London?

Options
13»

Comments

• Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    Being in Croydon I tend to go Bromley fair bit, it is diverse but I'm not sure about it tbh. OH family are in Croydon so I guess support network but I'm finding Croydon can be somewhat a dive in parts and goodness knows when Westfield will happen(!) that was reason I bought my flat here.....along with good links. We did look for houses last year but perhaps I'm too fussy plus the schools don't seem that great. I just want our next move as joint purchase to be ideally last one for good 7-10yrs. I like Croydon at times but do feel when I go into town it's a deep dive!

I'm not keen on bexleyheath/penge/abbey wood, feel quite rough to me. I did think Brighton or hove but that feels waaay too far. I quite like being a London chick and having it in my fingertips.
    If you are in Croydon have you looked at Addiscombe? You already know the transport advantages and Addiscombe have a lovely village feel to it, or come a little fourth over towards Crystal Palace, I'm on Woodside and I love it. Or Shirley?

There is This
    Or
    This near the country park
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    elverson wrote: »
    The BNP stood candidates in all the Eltham wards at the last council election in 2014.

http://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/elections2014
    And surely in other areas in local and general elections - some areas predominantly white, some very culturally diverse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_National_Party_election_results
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2017 at 9:52PM
    Options
    Don't know if the person who suggested Slough was joking or not, but I've just moved nearby and would quite seriously suggest the surrounding area as a good option. There are some very nice bits, and Slough itself doesn't deserve it's reputation.

Plus Crossrail is coming out this way next year, and house prices are likely to be on their way up as a result...
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • Starlight123
    Options
    Hi I know addiscombe well but do feel it's going bit downhill plus not many great schools nearby so would prefer area with better school performance. Shirley is lovely but very expensive! Funnily enough I did see a few houses over in northway rd last year but lost out but realised not what we wanted. I tend to look at cr0 and cr2 on Rightmove but not much catching me at mo plus OH isn't as keen to stay in area, I can understand at times as there are rough parts. Slough might be option so perhaps we will visit there. I know reading is on cross rail line and that's going up in price so possible.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I presume you haven't been to many areas of London on your travels?
    All of London is now "diverse" - I can't think of any pockets of whatever the opposite is.

Not that it's particularly relevant - you may find the most antagonistic neighbours are in areas that are particularly high in multiculturalism. The UKIP and BNP thrive in some very mixed areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure