PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord claiming damages I did not cause

Options
2»

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pinktavia wrote: »
    Almost forgot. No safety checks of any kind were done in the whole time I was there.

P

He was required to provide a gas safety certificate at the time the tenancy began and annually thereafter, so this is, as I said, a very serious offence. It also put you in personal danger-why did you not request it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Who owns the house that you were renting? I assume that it is supposed to be rented by your landlord? Is it a local authority or housing association owned property that he was letting illegally?
  • macman
    Options
    If it were an LA or an HA property being sublet, then they would be responsible for repairing the boiler and preventing the leak, not the LL.
    Were it rented, illegal subletting would frankly be the least of the LL's problems should she dob him in...
  • Pinktavia
    Options
    The LL owns the house and was renting it to me.

P
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    The landlord was claiming he was living at the house I was renting, and the CT was in his name.

He was living (and still is) with his partner and the rented house is standing empty.
    The LL owns the house and was renting it to me.

Possibly a benefit fraud scam if his partner is claiming benefits as a single person.
  • macman
    Options
    We could speculate ad infinitum on the LL's other potential misdemeanours, but unfortunately the main issue that the OP should be concerned with is the CT debt, and any utility debts, should he have put these into her name. Easily checked.
    If the LL continues to harass her or her parents for payment after being told to desist, then the police should be involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport