Family Member - Nursing Home - Income/Benefits ??

Options
A family member of mine is now in long term nursing care. He received the NHS funded nursing care allowance of £156.25/week which is paid directly to the nursing home.

His income is £9,000 per year from state pension and a small personal pension.

Does anyone know if he is entitled to any benefits as his savings are reducing extremely quickly and will soon be in a position where he doesn't have any money to pay.

Can he claim attendance allowance, pension credits or some other benefits ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SandraScarlett
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    A family member of mine is now in long term nursing care. He received the NHS funded nursing care allowance of £156.25/week which is paid directly to the nursing home.

His income is £9,000 per year from state pension and a small personal pension.

Does anyone know if he is entitled to any benefits as his savings are reducing extremely quickly and will soon be in a position where he doesn't have any money to pay.

Can he claim attendance allowance, pension credits or some other benefits ?

Thanks in advance

He can definitely claim Attendance Allowance. Often, the Manager of the Home will assist with the form. Hope this helps.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if you could claim that if you are having your nursing care partially funded.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/attendance-allowance
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if you could claim that if you are having your nursing care partially funded.

Attendance Allowance can continue to be paid if you are in a nursing home and the only help you get with your fees is an amount called the Registered Nursing Care Contribution from the NHS.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure