Would this will make me an awful person?

Options
13»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Rosie1978 wrote: »
    And I promise that if it's him that goes first that I won't blow it all on round the world cruises and champagne. Promise!

if we are dealing with a enough to be worthwhile then one round the world cruise won't dent it, they are only £15k-£20k on reasonable ships.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My grandfather's will was a delight to read, as not only did it set out in unambiguous terms what he wanted to happen, it explained why three relatives got "A single Five pound note each, from the green envelope in my middle left hand desk drawer." He wasn't taking any chances on there being any change in the currency, and before the three could try to argue, there was an additional letter which the executor said he could read aloud to the entire company here assembled, and then court, or they could hold their peace.
    To notable exercises in self discipline the family managed not to yell "Oh go on, read it!" & the three held their peace, their fivers & (I presume) some shreds of dignity.

This is a terrific story but I thought "readings of the Will" only existed in fiction.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 7:49PM
    Options
    My grandfather's will was a delight to read, as not only did it set out in unambiguous terms what he wanted to happen, it explained why three relatives got "A single Five pound note each, from the green envelope in my middle left hand desk drawer." He wasn't taking any chances on there being any change in the currency, and before the three could try to argue, there was an additional letter which the executor said he could read aloud to the entire company here assembled, and then court, or they could hold their peace.
    To notable exercises in self discipline the family managed not to yell "Oh go on, read it!" & the three held their peace, their fivers & (I presume) some shreds of dignity.

If you want to have what might appear to be an "unfair" distribution, you need to discuss it and be very clear in person & in all documentation what your wishes are. That way, a court knows what you intend & if your wishes are challenged later, you can explain from beyond the grave. It may still be overturned, but it requires much more effort & expense. Or cooperation or coercion, but in any scenario you will hopefully be well beyond caring.
    Good story in pargraph one. As far as the second paragraph is concerned there isa no legal reason you need to do this. A letter held by the solicitor nwith your will plus the solicitor's notes is quite adeqaute. Plus you don't need to need to deal with any upset it may cause.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options

If you want to have what might appear to be an "unfair" distribution, you need to discuss it and be very clear in person & in all documentation what your wishes are. That way, a court knows what you intend & if your wishes are challenged later, you can explain from beyond the grave. It may still be overturned, but it requires much more effort & expense. Or cooperation or coercion, but in any scenario you will hopefully be well beyond caring.

As yorkshireman (sorry if that's not an accurate reflection of your username) says, this may not be legally necessary, but if it's your last chance of getting your wishes evidenced as to how you want your estate to be distributed after your death, I would adopt a belt and braces approach and leave as much signed evidence as possible as to what my wishes were. It might not work but you have to do what you can while you're still alive. Later is toooooooo late
  • Sevennotemode
    Options
    I agree with leaving letters in case any disgruntled beneficiaries feel like challenging.

In my case, my mam left a note within the will itself and the so and so's are still threatening me with
    solicitors letters accusing me of everything under the sun. Undue influence,unsound mind, 'suspicious' circumstances etc - all of it total lies,frivolous and vexatious.

They are now on their second firm of solicitors.

I suppose the first solicittor wasn't aggressive enough as he got no
    information whatsoever out of me.

Is it me or are all solicitor's letters just designed to try and frightenand bully you so that you 'create a case for them to have a go at'?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with leaving letters in case any disgruntled beneficiaries feel like challenging.

In my case, my mam left a note within the will itself and the so and so's are still threatening me with
    solicitors letters accusing me of everything under the sun. Undue influence,unsound mind, 'suspicious' circumstances etc - all of it total lies,frivolous and vexatious.

They are now on their second firm of solicitors.

I suppose the first solicittor wasn't aggressive enough as he got no
    information whatsoever out of me.

Is it me or are all solicitor's letters just designed to try and frightenand bully you so that you 'create a case for them to have a go at'?
    It is not you! Some people, even so called professional negotiators, mistakenly think that an agressive initial approach is the best. They are so wrong. As a last resort you can write to them politely and suggest they refer their client to the reply in the case of Arkell v Pressdram. A quick Google will tell you more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure