PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The next step

Options
2»

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buying and selling are both expensive and then you have the costs of setting up the new property the way you want it.
    By all means have a good look round and note anything you like that you could improve your home BUT with a new baby due consider carefully if the stress of moving is worth it at the moment
  • Craign82
    Craign82 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    So a little update.
    I viewed the house and was not blown away. The space to extend on the side is appealing but I don't think the money to complete a move was worth it.

Now I'm not considering an offer, here is the house in question:

/property-for-sale/property-65793707(dot)html - I cannot post links as a new user, add this to RMove

A few people asked why I'd move but in the same area, and the answer is the primary school, Scotts. It is within the catchment area, is Ofsted outstanding and is in the top 10 of London primary schools. Therefore we want to stay in the area.

Apologies if posting the house is against forum rules.

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to have other opinions on big decisions like this.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65793707.html

One breath you say you're not bowled over with it, but then still talking about buying it.

tbh, I really think you're just 'nesting'.

Are you sure your child would get into the school even if you were in the right catchment area if it's that popular? I have friends in Woodford Green who know of people trying to get their kids into a good local school literally across the green from their houses - mainly due to the school having a siblings-first policy. There simply weren't enough places.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Craign82
    Craign82 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 26 April 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    I've no intention of buying it. I live within a 3 minute walk of that house so I'm already in the catchment area. No doubt about getting into the school.

I was posting again to tie up loose ends and respond to the 'why would you move into the same area, same floor plan?' I didn't even call the EA back as I didn't think it was a good move.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Craign82 wrote: »
    I've no intention of buying it. I live within a 3 minute walk of that house so I'm already in the catchment area. No doubt about getting into the school.

I was posting again to tie up loose ends and respond to the 'why would you move into the same area, same floor plan. I didn't even call the EA back as I didn't think it was a good move.
    Apologies, wasn't clear from your last few paras.

Didn't realise you were talking about posters, thought you meant people you knew :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    Property doesn't look anything special plus your assuming your hosue will sell for what estates ask..which in the current market especially London isn't case
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I suspect some price drops will be needed to shift this one, but you never know.......?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport