New Driver - Can't Get A Car - Lease?

Options
13»

Comments

• IIKazzII
    IIKazzII Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys, no I am not in financial difficulty, as said in the council tax thread, I am paying that off at what some may consider a substantial amount £100 a week, and it's done in 6 - 7 more weeks. I am also disabled as is my son, hence the higher income of (it works out more like £2750 a month than £3k).

I've never been a saver, hence having no savings, I went bankrupt about 15 years ago due to health etc, since then I've never been able to get credit, despite what people say your not clear after 5 years discharge, it stays with you forever. I have a credit builder Marbles card which is great, but it takes an age to build the rating back up.

Most of the places I looked don't require a deposit at all, the CVS place wanted £600, I could save that within a couple of weeks to put down, but after friends advice and suggestions here I am now thinking it's a waste of time to lease. On with the searching!
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Don't you still need to pass a credit check when leasing a vehicle anyway?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    IIKazzII wrote: »
    Thanks guys, no I am not in financial difficulty, as said in the council tax thread, I am paying that off at what some may consider a substantial amount £100 a week, and it's done in 6 - 7 more weeks. I am also disabled as is my son, hence the higher income of (it works out more like £2750 a month than £3k).

I've never been a saver, hence having no savings, I went bankrupt about 15 years ago due to health etc, since then I've never been able to get credit, despite what people say your not clear after 5 years discharge, it stays with you forever. I have a credit builder Marbles card which is great, but it takes an age to build the rating back up.

Most of the places I looked don't require a deposit at all, the CVS place wanted £600, I could save that within a couple of weeks to put down, but after friends advice and suggestions here I am now thinking it's a waste of time to lease. On with the searching!

The unfortunate thing is, these places will charge you a fortune if they're going to take you on at all.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't you still need to pass a credit check when leasing a vehicle anyway?

They will mainly check the ID and they will also want to see the OPs bank statements to see if they really can afford £200 a month.

Your bank statement will tell them more than just a credit search.

On top of that it wont be a new car but a used one, the website said a 2016 car, but what are the chances they will say their finances are worse than expected and then require a bigger deposit and more £ per month, and the car will be an older one?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mrmot
    mrmot Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    With your lack of driving experience, you'll be hard pushed finding a rental company that will rent a car to you.
  • RickRastardly
    Options
    Save up and buy a cheapish car for about 1000 with 12months MOT. Wont be new, but most cars have been 4 or 5 Star Euro Ncap for the last 10 years if that's you're only concern with buying an older car. Besides if you're financial situation is a good as you say it is then in the 12Months while the banger has its MOT you could easily save up for a better car once you've finished paying off £100 p/w council tax rebates. that's 400 P/m X 12 = £4800 for a quite modern car that should last you for years.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As suggested above, if you can afford £400 a month then you need only to save for 2.5 months to buy a reasonable runner outright for £1K. Much better than heaping up further debt by taking a loan which, given your poor credit, will be at penurious rates.
    Your insurance will also be steep as a new driver (even a 'mature' one)-have you actually worked out all the overheads involved in running a car? You will also have no NCB to bring that cost down for now.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport