Forum for Retired parents

Options
13»

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm 74 years of age, still working (4 days a week - 6.30-11.00 am ) - and quite frankly, seeing as I don't wear the elasticated waisted skirts/trousers I don't really feel qualified to be commenting upon this thread......

However, I don't feel any different to any of the people that I work with - who are 20+ years younger than I - so in the meantime, I continue to carry on, working, enjoying my holidays and breaks away, whilst "age-proofing my home (walk in shower, bathroom door opening outwards, leaving keys with everyone who might be "concerned" about me (:-D) and most determindly (with the encouragement of my offspring) I am SKI-ING! :-D
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hate it when my kids try to be helpful by suggesting things they think I should be doing to fill my hours. As a consequence, I tend not to tell them when I play bridge, go out for tea, go to the cinema or theatre, meet up for social events, attend parties and so on. They know about my voluntary work but, because I live alone, they seem to be under the misapprehension that I have a solitary existence.

You may be making the same mistake. Even if you're not, it's up to them how they live their lives. They've managed thus far, so I'm sure they'll be able to stagger on somehow. By all means let them know about a few websites but then leave it up to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure