Obtaining CE Marking & Product Testing

Hi all,

I was going to say that I'm new to this site but apparently, I've been a member for over 9 years according to all of these popups which keep appearing...

...Anyway, I think this is my 1st post so please be gentle.

I'm a startup business with several electronic controls models which I have developed with the intention to sell.

These range from basic relay units to micro-controlled, programmable timer relay units. I have working prototypes of all.

I'm at the point now where I need to have these CE marked & product tested. Can anyone recommend a company, preferably in the north west of England which could undertake this for me?

I'm looking for a single company who can complete everything required for me to legally place these on the market.

Thanks in advance. Ian

Comments

• I don't know anything in the north west, but we used to use ERA Technology in Cleeve Road, Leatherhead, they now appear to be part of an outfit called Edif. There's also RN Electronics near Brentwood.
  • sghughes42
    sghughes42 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Depending where in the North West you are, I've used Cass Industries in Stockport and I also believe that UK Electronics in Oldham have testing facilities. Be warned it isn't cheap - we were looking at over £600 for one unit and there isn't a lot you can cut out. There are also ones in Chester and Buxton but I can't remember the names at the moment.

I do recall reading about a setup a few years back where you could rent test lab time by the hour and do your own tests which would cut the costs a bit. You might also try local Universities - I know Bolton used to have an EMC lab but that was 20 years ago so I don't know if they still do.

I don't know your experience / qualifications, but in general you don't usually get a company who does the whole thing, it's normal to self-certify that a product meets CE requirements. Depending how confident and experienced you are there is nothing to stop you taking a professional decision that you are satisfied it will meet the criteria. Generally, however, this would only apply to fairly simple devices as you need to be able to justify it. Full certification by a third party tends to only be for safety critical products.

Don't forget you also need to register for WEEE if you are selling the product, although they've changed the rules recently so low volume manufacturers just need to pay a small fee rather than register with a scheme.
  • Thanks guys, some great tips there.

sghughes42, thanks for your 2 leads, both look promising so I'll phone each for a chat.

I'm a bit green regarding exactly what is required. In my early 20's I earned an HND in electronics but then went down a different path and never used my qualifications. I've now (over 20 years later) sat down and created several control modules, some of which are LCD driven, allowing configuration of the unit. All have relays which are to be rated at switching up to 230vac.

I don't know if the CE testing will prove that my products are safe for use or if these then need to be fully tested in a test house? I've followed datasheets so everything should be good but as I am switching up to 230vac, I don't want to find myself in trouble if someone is hurt whilst installing a unit.

I'll have a chat with the companies you mention and maybe follow their advice.

Many thanks for your input :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport