Does Anyone Still Use Travellers Cheques

Options

Comments

• cloudy-day
    cloudy-day Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

We will not be taking travellers cheques and now have plenty of info to start looking at the alternatives.
  • LoraN
    LoraN Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I think that travellers cheques are out time, everyone use credit card instead.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You won't find many places in UK that will readily take TC's let alone abroad.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    Then a pre loaded travel card would probably suit you best. There are quite a few out there - Caxton is the one we use.
    You can load it before you go with euros - keep an eye on the exchange rate as you would for cash and load it when the rates are good!
    The way I look at it is then even if the worst happened and it was lost/stolen there is only the amount you put on there lost maximum - less if you get to a phone and cancel the card quickly!
    The only downside is most won't replace the card when you are away and so it is best to take your usual credit/debit for backup which you can lock away safely rather than carry around with you.

Except they are going to a resort with just one unreliable ATM. So any card-based solution (whether credit, debit or prepaid) leaves them vulnerable to the vagaries of the ATM.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Except they are going to a resort with just one unreliable ATM. So any card-based solution (whether credit, debit or prepaid) leaves them vulnerable to the vagaries of the ATM.

Not at all , you use a card to pay for what ever you need, no need to keep getting cash out
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Not at all , you use a card to pay for what ever you need, no need to keep getting cash out

I'm also heading off to Crete soon. I've never been to Greece before but from what I've read it's heavily cash-based. We're staying in several places, and at least one of them will only take cash for both accommodation and food/drink.

So while I normally just take cards when travelling, I'm wondering if I should change some cash beforehand this time to avoid issues with ATM withdrawal limits. I can usually change cash at the interbank rate so no issues there, but carrying lots of cash is never a great idea.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »

In Greece there is a culture of cash dealings, with card machines usually being "broken". Someone with a card but no cash could find their options were very limited.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    I'm also heading off to Crete soon. I've never been to Greece before but from what I've read it's heavily cash-based. We're staying in several places, and at least one of them will only take cash for both accommodation and food/drink.

So while I normally just take cards when travelling, I'm wondering if I should change some cash beforehand this time to avoid issues with ATM withdrawal limits. I can usually change cash at the interbank rate so no issues there, but carrying lots of cash is never a great idea.
    Unless you're a big spender I can't see ATM limits being an issue (assuming your accomodation is pre-paid or you can pay that by card). I've been to Greece several times and spent for a family of 4, mostly cash, and never had a problem with ATM limits.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 15 April 2017 at 6:01PM
    Options
    Unless it's a tiny resort I doubt it just has one ATM, sometimes hotels have ATMs which they let people who aren't guests of that hotel use. Also if it has banks with no ATM they usually let you withdraw cash over the counter.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Unless you're a big spender I can't see ATM limits being an issue (assuming your accomodation is pre-paid or you can pay that by card). I've been to Greece several times and spent for a family of 4, mostly cash, and never had a problem with ATM limits.

Some of the accommodation is prepaid but we'll be in a fairly remote area for a few days with accommodation that will only take cash. Shouldn't be a major issue, but I don't want to waste time on holiday making trips in the car to seek out an ATM.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills