Teletext holidays have mis-old me a holiday. What to do next?

Options
Hi all
Advice needed!! Booked our honeymoon with Teletext holiday today. Informed the advisor what i wanted (5*star resort in Dubai) He found what i wanted but I thought id better take a look at the room he was offering me before confirming as it was non refundable. He agreed and told me to look on the resort website. He said I would be staying the "Tower room" which I was happy with and I paid the £1460 with my debit card. Before ending the call he advised that i would have to call the resort and inform them I would like a double bed and not 2 twin beds.

When I rang the resort they said the travel company had not reserved the Tower room but a cheaper option of the Garden resort room. This room according to reviews on trip advisor is no better than a 2*!!

Tried ringing Teletext holidays but have been fobbed off with usual we will get back to you in 24-48 hours. Ive read some post on here and the web and Teletext are known for this type of scam!! Apparently not many people are successful with their claims against Teletext and they have poor customer service. I'm not well off and saved up for this honeymoon to make it a special time for both of us. Is there anything I can do? I’ve rang my bank but they can’t assist me either. Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Which hotel is it?

(Please keep your posts to one thread.)
  • muddym2002
    muddym2002 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Which hotel is it?

(Please keep your posts to one thread.)

Apologies

The hotel is Habtoor Grand Resort
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 April 2017 at 10:35PM
    Options
    muddym2002 wrote: »
    the travel company had not reserved the Tower room but a cheaper option of the Garden resort room.

There is no reference of any "Garden resort room" on the hotel website
    it appears that the "Tower Room" is the cheapest, followed by "Tower Oceanfront"
    ...it does look like front the tripadvisor reviews that those that these rooms may be accessible to agents
    Do you have the room type on any of the paperwork from teletext holidays? (many bad reviews about this company)
  • muddym2002
    Options
    Exactly my point! If i knew they had a garden room i wouldnt have gone for it!! The hotel doesnt advertise it on their website. probably too embarrased but if you search Habtoor Grand Resort garden view room you can see some photos of it!
  • Teletext
    Teletext Posts: 53 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Muddym2002,

We are really sorry to read your review, a member of our Customer Support team is looking into this and will be contacting you directly.

Kind Regards

Teletext Holidays
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Teletext. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • muddym2002
    Options
    Yes I have received the call from your customer support team. She said she will listen to the call and get back to me. Will let you know how it goes
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stupid question, but if you can see the room type you want on the hotels website, why not just book with the hotel directly?
  • muddym2002
    muddym2002 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Travel agency like teletext can get it a lot cheaper than going direct to the hotel.

Theyve advised that the correct room was booked for me but they will confirm in 7 days. Apparently technical issues at the hotel side. Dont understand why i have to wait 7 days but will see what happens
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Travel agency like teletext can get it a lot cheaper than going direct to the hotel.

Theyve advised that the correct room was booked for me but they will confirm in 7 days. Apparently technical issues at the hotel side. Dont understand why i have to wait 7 days but will see what happens

Rubbish!
    The mistake you made was going through Teletext holidays.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options

Teletext aren't a travel agency. Truly Travel are the agent, and they're a truly naff one. They book via bed banks. It could be the bedbank booked the wrong room or could just be that the hotel is being economical with the truth, as they often are with bedbank customers.

OTAs are best avoided. Book direct with the hotel or via booking.com. Bedbanks pay hotels peanuts, and this increases your chances of getting bumped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure