drydensfairfax solicitors

Options
Hi
I was hoping not to have to do this but I'm not a little worried. In 2008 I took out a PayPal credit card (Santander) and maxed it out, I wasn't overly worried as I was in full time employment and was making monthly payments. In March 2009 my Mum died and I had a little time off work, 2 days after returning, I was sacked due to the manager passing the buck because he was a spineless tw@t! So, I had no job, my head wasn't in a good place and my savings were slowing being spent. I started to fall behind with my payments on all 3 of my credit cards, Capital one were very helpful, Barclaycard were also helpful, Santander were not, they were awful to deal with, they spoke to me like !!!! and were generally vile. I said to my self "I'm not paying them" I got the odd letter through and received the odd phone call but the was about it.
Fast forward 8 years, on the 28th Of February, I received a letter from Drydensfairfax Which I ignored

Then on the 4th of April, I got another which was the worrying one,
IT IS IMPORTANT YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE CONTENTS OF THIS DOCUMENT
We are instructed by our client, Arrow Global Limited, to commence legal proceedings against you in the County Court if you do not provide proposals for repayment of this debt by 18 April 2017.
It is not too late to stop the claim being issued. Please contact us to enable us to understand your circumstances and help you agree a repayment plan that is affordable and sustainable. The easiest way to contact us is by telephone on 0113 823 3388 or via our customer website drydensfairfax com/customer. You can email collections services drydensfairfax or write to us at tire address below.
If we do not receive clear proposals to repay this debt by 18 April 2017 we will commence legal proceedings against you and a claim form will be issued for the full outstanding balance. We are required by Court rules to provide you with certain information prior to issuing proceedings:
The claimant will be Arrow Global Limited (our client) who own the account
We will tell the Court that you made a credit agreement with Santander but failed to repay it. We will explain that your account was then sold to Arrow Global Limited
The claim will be for the balance outstanding on your account, £1454.66
If you dispute the claim, we are willing to try to resolve that dispute without going to Court and we will be happy to discuss this with you or your representative
If you don’t comply with the instructions of the Court, the Judge can impose penalties against you which may increase the costs payable by you
You can make payments by a variety of means that are shown on the back of this letter.
If you need advice about this letter you should seek independent legal advice. There are organisations that offer free advice and assistance listed on the reverse of this letter

I only receive carers allowance which is £62.70 a week. I am slightly worried now. Could anyone offer me some advise please?

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When did you make the last payment on the account, or otherwise acknowledged the debt?
  • RalphFridge
    Options
    I'm almost sure is was in 2009, Possibly 2010.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Okay. To your relief (if what you've said is accurate) the debt is statute barred, which means it cannot be chased for anymore.
    What you have to do is print out that template: https://www.stepchange.org/Portals/0/documents/info/Statute-Barred-Template-Letter.pdf , sign it with your name, put it in an envelope together with a copy of the letter you've received and send it back to them. That will either be the last you hear from them, or you will also receive a response that they drop pursuing of this debt.
  • RalphFridge
    Options
    Wow, Thank you, That is such a relief!!
    Who would I send the letter to, Drydensfairfax, Arrow Global Limited or Santander??

• Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Drydensfairfax as they were the ones contacting you on behalf of arrow global limited. Santander has nothing to do with the debt anymore.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Statute barred as said above, law relating to it here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980

It's not uncommon for creditors to "invent" payments, if they try that tack, post back for further advice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RalphFridge
    Options
    Just posted it. Sent it recorded just so I know its actually been delivered.
  • TheMsTeal
    TheMsTeal Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Just stumbled on this. I have also just received a letter from the same DrydensFairfax on behalf of arrow global limited. I have checked my credit file and nothing negative showing at all. Should I just ignore it or send the same letter as you advise above as I don't recognise it & even if connected to me would also be over 6 years old. Wouldn't contacting them in any way just encourage them to send more letters?

Any advise appreciated.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    TheMsTeal wrote: »
    Just stumbled on this. I have also just received a letter from the same DrydensFairfax on behalf of arrow global limited. I have checked my credit file and nothing negative showing at all. Should I just ignore it or send the same letter as you advise above as I don't recognise it & even if connected to me would also be over 6 years old. Wouldn't contacting them in any way just encourage them to send more letters?

Any advise appreciated.

Hi,

Yes same advice would apply, the statute barred letter is the "end game" if you like, once you've written and told them its SB, they either have to prove it isn't, or stop collection activity.

The limitations act 1980 is very clear on this.

If you need further help, please start a new thread, saves confusion.

Thanks.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,561 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    If you can't recognise it at all send a prove-it

If you don't know what it is how can you say it's over 6 years since you acknowledged it?

However, hold the statute barred letter in reserve because it's very possible it's something ancient if Arrow have bought it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure