Great Hunt: Have you ever had a Section 75 claim rejected?

Options
2»

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mike7485 wrote: »
    Tesco Mastercard refused a refund for £495 for a bike I purchased for my grandson (years ago). They stated they had completed their transaction correctly, and I obviously had no redress against the 3rd party payee.
    How long ago was 'years ago'?

Section 75 of The Consumer Credit Act didn't come into effect until 1st July 1977.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    £495 for a bike (I'm reading as pushbike) ... highly unlikely to have been more than 40 years ago. :)
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    The root cause of uncertainty over whether third party payment providers prevent a successful Section 75 claim is probably down to the failure of the OFT test case around 10 years ago to clear up this point (it was asked to look at whether acquirers caused issues, not additional third parties as well).

The industry position since then has settled into something along the following lines: "If the name on your credit card transaction isn't the same as the company you bought the item from, we will reject your claim." That's a generalisation though and it's more nuanced than that.

For a big change to happen though, there would probably have to be another court case or a change in the law.
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    By " the authorities" who exactly are you referring to :) The FSA?

Apologies for double post, but I'm guessing they mean FOS. They end up looking at the claims the banks reject of course.
  • UK-Panda
    Options
    Capital One refused to refund me although on a fraudulent transaction. Although other banks have refunded me in full plus interest. Please help!!
  • airhostess
    airhostess Posts: 215 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I had this exact problem.

Typed my card details in to pay for a mobile phone, it wasn't as advertised and I couldn't get my money back because the seller unbeknownst to me used PayPal to process my card payment. I typed my card details in directly and didn't log into my PayPal account.

The main issue is:

As a purchaser, you are unaware a to how exactly the merchant will process your card payment, often after you've paid already. The seller is under no obligation to tell you they use sage pay, world pay or PayPal to process your purchase and you won't be covered in event of dispute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure