Haggling with a second hand car dealer.

Options
Hiya,
I'm going to see a second hand 2009 nissan qashqai tomorrow advertised at 5k. Could anyone give me an idea of what I could reasonably haggle it down to? It's my first time buying a car & don't want to be done over. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to be prepared to wear the guy out if he doesn't move. Offer £4,500 IF it looks OK. But before you make any offer: check the interior, exterior, under the bonnet, don't forget mileage. Take your time and don't let him sideline you with waffle, go around the car and under the bonnet in a slow, careful manner. Ask to see any service documentaion including MOT certificates, with "Advisory" papers. Check tax.

If he goes down a little, shake your head and repeat the £4.5 offer. If he goes to, say, £4,750, ask for Tax and/or some fuel - half a tank? You won't get all that, but it will wear him down, especially if you look wistful and say "I really like this car, but..."

All of that used to drive me mad when I sold cars! 'I know they want it, how far can I afford to go?'
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a proper good look at it as already said.
    I can't explain it, but I get a "feeling" about cars. If the inside looks rough, how's the rest been treated for example? (Bad example really if buying from a dealer they're usually nice and clean inside)
    If you like it, as Robisere says, be prepared to haggle. Don't "fall in love with it" there will always be another one. Even if you want it, be prepared to walk away as a haggling ploy. It sometimes does the trick. You can always "change your mind" and go back.
    Good luck!
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    You have to be prepared to wear the guy out if he doesn't move. Offer £4,500 IF it looks OK. But before you make any offer: check the interior, exterior, under the bonnet, don't forget mileage. Take your time and don't let him sideline you with waffle, go around the car and under the bonnet in a slow, careful manner. Ask to see any service documentaion including MOT certificates, with "Advisory" papers. Check tax.

If he goes down a little, shake your head and repeat the £4.5 offer. If he goes to, say, £4,750, ask for Tax and/or some fuel - half a tank? You won't get all that, but it will wear him down, especially if you look wistful and say "I really like this car, but..."

All of that used to drive me mad when I sold cars! 'I know they want it, how far can I afford to go?'

Why? He'll have to tax it as a new keeper.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get prices for the same car with similar mileage online, ideally close by, ideally less than he is charging then you know how much leverage you have to start with and meet in the middle
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    If you want it for 4.5, go in with an offer of 4 otherwise you've got nothing left to bargain with.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    If you want it for 4.5, go in with an offer of 4 otherwise you've got nothing left to bargain with.

I think £4K is crazy low and would make you look foolish. Assuming the trader is running a business and not a charity hes very unlikely to even be remotely interested in giving probably his entire margin away.

I'd be checking what other similar cars are being sold for and pitch based on that. If the seller is amount the cheapest online already, i cant see him having a burning urge to give away £££s in profit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure