Buying an ex-police car?

We need to upgrade our cars fairly soon. My partner has an old car which is leaking and has a small lake in the back so it will either be scrapped or sold to we buy any car. Mine is a few years old and in good condition but just not big enough to get our dog in the back (its a vauxhall adam).
As we are planning to get a second dog in the next couple of years and will be hopefully starting a family so its time to upgrade soon. I have come across a company that sells ex-police cars, and we're specifically looking at ones that have already been converted to carry dogs. Has anyone got any experience with this? It seems ideal, they are relatively low mileage, one owner, checks and upkeep on them will be pretty good and the prices seem very reasonable.
Just want to make sure we arent missing something we should be aware of really.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A low mileage policecar? Are you sure?

Missing trim or audio equipment, holes in trim and exterior panels etc.

If that doesnt worry you and if you can find the right car then always worth a look.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't touch them. Generally they're driven hard, especially when cold and take a lot more punishment than the average car.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A low mileage policecar? Are you sure?

Missing trim or audio equipment, holes in trim and exterior panels etc.

If that doesnt worry you and if you can find the right car then always worth a look.

There are a lot that have the audio equipment still in them, remember a modern car the radio often controls other things.

Some will have updated suspension or brakes, however would I buy one? In a word no, not a chance.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    If it is a dog handlers vehicle then it won't have been driven as hard as a patrol car, dogs are usually not strapped in and no handler would risk his mutt's well being with high speed chases/collisions. Do check it out thoroughly and ask a mechanic friend to give it a look over.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    They tend to be fairly well serviced, but driven by anyone. Dog vans are probably a lot better though as there are less dog handlers and as said loose dogs.

Probably no worse than any other vehicle for the money, but I'd be expecting loose/modified trim and some unevenly faded paint from where the livery was.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Traffic cars may have various mechanical upgrades or odd specs, but patrol ("panda") will just be normal spec.

TBH, a traffic car would be about the only time I'd consider one, and even then it'd have to be cheap. A panda? No point. There's just such a huge pool of similar vehicles without the question mark over them.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Check with insurance, some dont like ex police, taxis or army vehicles
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Check with insurance, some dont like ex police, taxis or army vehicles

Which ones?

In all my time driving I've never been asked.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wookey wrote: »
    If it is a dog handlers vehicle then it won't have been driven as hard as a patrol car, dogs are usually not strapped in and no handler would risk his mutt's well being with high speed chases/collisions. Do check it out thoroughly and ask a mechanic friend to give it a look over.

Ha ha, you don't know any dog handlers do you?
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Watch Police Interceptors or the like. They get used to follow stolen cars !!!! IE They are driven like a stolen car daily !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure