RE-mortgage after Bankruptcy

Hi, i was wondering if you could give me some advice. My husband went bankrupt in 2012 and discharged in 2013. We didn't lose our home and since then he has worked hard at re-building his credit file. We were looking to see if we could re-mortgage our home and either move, or extend our existing property - we have equity in the property.
During the bankruptcy process I obtained a default due to a joint loan that was transferred into my name and I realise that will also go against us.
I just wanted to ask if anybody had any success with a re-mortgage and also whether it is even worth trying?

thank you

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

It may be worth trying to speak to an independent mortgage broker about your chances in a situation like this. Be careful and shop around, because they can cost money, but it is the only way you will know where you stand, unless you just submit some applications to the bank(s). The trouble with just applying aimlessly, is that will leave searches on your credit file for approx. 12 months and that can cause some damage to your rating.

Other people may be able to give you their personal experiences on here, but I think, very generally speaking, people find it quite hard to get a mortgage/ re-mortgage whilst the bankruptcy is still showing on their history.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Who is your current Mortgage with?
    You could ask them if you can product switch to a new deal?

Failing that, with 3-4 years discharged there should be options, but with the default on top it is a little hit and miss and will come down to the finer details.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks for the advice
    Mortgage was a self cert mortgage with Ucb home loans- there isn't an option for a remortgage with that particular product
  • As per the above post, try an IFA. Be prepared to pay a fee to the right person, although make sure if you take advice from a fee charging IFA its payable on successful completion of a new mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure