Small extension cost

Options
I have been given quotes for a small (11.48sqm) single storey extension on the side of our bungalow. Nothing fancy, brick and traditional tile construction, concrete floor, knock through existing wall to merge with existing room, one small window to front, sliding patio door to rear.

I have seen on the Web the various estimations of building costs per sqm and wonder whether anyone knows how reliable they are. I’m asking because one quote is £36k and another £25k (the third company is dragging its feet a bit so no figure). These both look high as the highest estimate is around £2k per sqm in London – I’m in South Wales.

Anyone help with any information?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rates for extensions are usually difficult to predict exactly, especially with smaller projects. There's always a certain amount you have to do, no matter what size of extension.
    What kind of information are your quotes based on? Have all the builders got a detailed spec to base things on, or are they all making assumptions?
    The roof junctions on a bungalow extension can be more complicated than normal depending on the details, existing drainage and foundations restricted site access etc can all add cost
  • Nurby
    Nurby Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. Although we had not prepared a specification all three visited to inspect and discussed our requirements in detail. No access problems, no drainage considerations, extension to be on gable end to avoid cutting into roof to create a new ridge. General opinion was that it was a fairly simple proposal.

It's taken three months to get this far and I don't think I have the stomach to start over again. Probably just have to bite the bullet and go with what looks the most attractive package.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nurby wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments. Although we had not prepared a specification all three visited to inspect and discussed our requirements in detail. No access problems, no drainage considerations, extension to be on gable end to avoid cutting into roof to create a new ridge. General opinion was that it was a fairly simple proposal.

It's taken three months to get this far and I don't think I have the stomach to start over again. Probably just have to bite the bullet and go with what looks the most attractive package.

Until you do the bit in bold - you won't have comparable quotes to understand where the costs are and where savings can be made. It's not starting over as you haven't really started yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure