Can anyone help with a huge number porting problem?

PenultimateFM
PenultimateFM Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 March 2017 at 9:48AM in Phones & TV
I have a huge problem with my phone number and line. To cut a very long story short, I placed an order to switch my landline and fibre broadband from Sky to BT, but was unhappy with the ordering process so called BT to cancel. A few days later BT ported my number away from my line, meaning that although my service is officially still with Sky, I can't use it. This has now been going on for four weeks as the glitch or whatever caused the unauthorised number port also meant that my line stayed active until it was forced to cease.

The problem is that although it is now possible for Sky to place a new order for a new line with a new number, there is no way for them to get my old number back. I've had the same number since about 1981 so it's a real hassle to change it now.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this that will actually work?

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Clearly it wasn't Sky's number in the first place, it belonged to BT's allocation so there will be a period it is steralised before reuse... but by a BT customer.

You don't say what made you unhappy with the order process, but the way numbers are ported is simply a bolt-on to the usual transfer process. Changing your mind can result in the horrors you describe, not really anyone's fault - but a pig to resolve. Since you've stayed with Sky, it's not their number to request they can ask, but don't be surprised if they're told no.
  • PenultimateFM
    PenultimateFM Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2017 at 2:02PM
    Buzby wrote: »
    Clearly it wasn't Sky's number in the first place, it belonged to BT's allocation so there will be a period it is steralised before reuse... but by a BT customer.

You don't say what made you unhappy with the order process, but the way numbers are ported is simply a bolt-on to the usual transfer process. Changing your mind can result in the horrors you describe, not really anyone's fault - but a pig to resolve. Since you've stayed with Sky, it's not their number to request they can ask, but don't be surprised if they're told no.

Yes, the number was ours from the early days of British Telecom. We kept it through three house moves and several changes of provider.

The problems with the order process are not serious but quite complicated to explain. Put simply, I ended up with something I hadn't ordered included with the things I had ordered, so decided to cancel and start afresh. Unfortunately Sky say they don't have a system in place to request the number.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 30 March 2017 at 6:35PM
    As you have already been told, your number has been returned to the number range holder (BT) , this happens when the company that has imported a number from someone else's number range, relinquishes it , you may have thought you cancelled in sufficient time not to balls up your service, but it would appear you left it too late in the process to 'cancel'
    Your choices probably are accept a new number from Sky or whatever provider you decide to use, or get BT to provide your service with a temp number and get them to (eventually) renumber it back to the number you want
  • LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    I have a huge problem with my phone number and line. To cut a very long story short, I placed an order to switch my landline and fibre broadband from Sky to BT, but was unhappy with the ordering process so called BT to cancel. A few days later BT ported my number away from my line, meaning that although my service is officially still with Sky, I can't use it. This has now been going on for four weeks as the glitch or whatever caused the unauthorised number port also meant that my line stayed active until it was forced to cease.

The problem is that although it is now possible for Sky to place a new order for a new line with a new number, there is no way for them to get my old number back. I've had the same number since about 1981 so it's a real hassle to change it now.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this that will actually work?

This situation is recoverable but Sky will need to act swiftly.

BT should have issued a Cancel to the porting order.

I suggest raising a formal complaint with Sky so at least someone competent can focus on this issue and have it resolved (there are processes in place to resolve issues like this).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure