Blu-ray query

Options
I purchased a new blu-ray DVD player recently. One new DVD I purchased the sound is out of sync with the picture but this doesn't happen on other DVDs recently purchased. This leads me to think the DVD is faulty rather than a problem with the equipment. Is this likely?
DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 11:22AM
    Options
    Not necessarily, 9 times out of 10 playback issues can be rectified by upgrading the firmware on the player. Just because its "new" doesn't mean it was made the day before you bought it, its more likely sat in a warehouse somewhere for a few months.

The firmware is basically software that controls the unit, its menus, its functionality and how to do stuff. It also educates the drive how to play certain disks. If you've got a disk that your unit doesn't quite how how to play properly, it'll either second guess it or refuse to talk to it. Many years ago lots of CD players couldn't play home burnt music CDs because they weren't aware of the differences between them and commercial disks. The solution would have been a firmware update but these older players didn't have any way of doing that.

How you upgrade the firmware depends on the model of your player, if it has a network port you can often do it over the internet through the menus, otherwise it's typically burn a file to a disk and insert that into the player. You can usually get the firmware from the manufacturer's website.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »
    I purchased a new blu-ray DVD player recently. One new DVD I purchased the sound is out of sync with the picture but this doesn't happen on other DVDs recently purchased. This leads me to think the DVD is faulty rather than a problem with the equipment. Is this likely?

One thing that you shoud clarify is whether or not the new "DVD" you bought is actually a "Blu-Ray" ?

DVD's are a different thing to Blu-Ray Disc's.
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    One thing that you shoud clarify is whether or not the new "DVD" you bought is actually a "Blu-Ray" ?

DVD's are a different thing to Blu-Ray Disc's.

Yes sorry they are all Blu-Ray discs. Every disc plays fine apart from one.

• Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Not necessarily, 9 times out of 10 playback issues can be rectified by upgrading the firmware on the player. Just because its "new" doesn't mean it was made the day before you bought it, its more likely sat in a warehouse somewhere for a few months.

The firmware is basically software that controls the unit, its menus, its functionality and how to do stuff. It also educates the drive how to play certain disks. If you've got a disk that your unit doesn't quite how how to play properly, it'll either second guess it or refuse to talk to it. Many years ago lots of CD players couldn't play home burnt music CDs because they weren't aware of the differences between them and commercial disks. The solution would have been a firmware update but these older players didn't have any way of doing that.

How you upgrade the firmware depends on the model of your player, if it has a network port you can often do it over the internet through the menus, otherwise it's typically burn a file to a disk and insert that into the player. You can usually get the firmware from the manufacturer's website.

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a go and see if it works.

• almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Which disc is it? You might find lots of complaints about a bad job being done putting a certain film onto Blu-Ray. Any chance you're using, for example, DTS sound on this disc, as opposed to Dolby Digital for all the others, for example - if so, you should be able to switch to the other sound system.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the sound format different to the others? (DTS, Dolby etc)
    :idea:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport