Samsung SMART UHD TV 48 inch-£429 new free delivery-thoughts please???

Options
DEBTMONKEY1A
DEBTMONKEY1A Posts: 1,496 Forumite
edited 28 March 2017 at 9:26PM in Techie Stuff
Taking on board ALL the kind help & the comments on my other thread on here re: UHD TV'S....this seems a bargain at £429-new with full guarantee. Yes-discontinued now (from 2015) but from what I can see feedback & quality is fab.

http://www.hughes.co.uk/vision/televisions/sam-ue48ju6000/product

To save everyone reading my other thread (!)...requirements are:-

• Good TV quality & upscaling
  • Not too big as small lounge(!)
  • Reasonable number of HDMI/USB
  • We don't watch sports/do gaming-just films & TV
  • Stream a lot of films/TV from fire tv & Kodi (hopefully utilising 4k compressed files)
  • Not too fussed re: SMART TV but a bonus if there & wifi built in (it is!)
  • On advice of kind posters on here not too fussed re: new features like HDR-just want good picture (This Samsung model has colour enhancement & 100hz which my non-techy brain assumes is fairly good/??!)
  • We sit around 10 ft from TV so big tv a bit wasted (current one seems big at 42 inches!).
  • Just want a good picture-realsise from other replies that even though SD & full HD is upscaled it's never going to be full UHD-but apparently this model upscales very well?
  • Could save £120ish on a cheap new ElectriQ model (not SMART)-49 inch at £299 (fairly good reviews but not sure??!) or Finlux non Smart at £380, 55 inch (maybe too big-not sure), or £499 Samsung 55 inch SMART refurbished (12 month guarantee) -HDR.
Can't find a thing to come close to the Samsung at £429 new-opinions????? Seems great price & spec & fairly 'future-proof' (ulness I'm missing settings/HDMI, wireless frequencies etc that go over my head!).

As it's a discontinued model was going to make an offer.....or have I more chance of a date with Louisa lytton (lol!).

Thanks all for your help & patience. Any advice would be fab.

Comments

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    We had this tv from Richer Sounds around 12 months ago and yes fabulous colour, detail and contrast for the price. It went back however because it didn't always process sudden movements properly and gave a jerky motion to some content.

Richer Sounds swapped it as per their warranty for a different make without quibble.

I should say none of the problems involved games or football, just normal terrestrial tv and recorded from air tv.
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Harz99-thanks!!!!!!!!!! Will take that on board. out of interest did you tweak the film/tv settings in relation to natural, movie etc??? Again not a techy expert by any means but I did read somewhere that you can change a seting to avoid jerky movements? I get free cover on Sky Protect as well for the TV so will check with them if that kind of thing is fixable free of charge.

I've been reading more & more about the TV Direct own brand-ElectriQ (showroom/warehouse is close to where I live)-reviews seem great just for a standard UHD TV....as apparaently they use 'LG & Samsung panels' (whatever that means!) & the 49/55 inch are fab value. NO HDR etc but as stated on my other thread this 'standard' seems in its infancy & is very much a marketing toool. Signed up for Which but no TV reviews of this product...it's the good upscaling I want & can't find too much more online about this. Can anyone reccomend a 'begginer-ish' forum on USB TV'S &/or a DETAILED review of ElectriQ? Also FINLUX is very very good value-any advice on this as per what I'm looking for on ElectriQ?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    avforums.com is where I go to find experience of TV or HiFi stuff. The jerkiness experienced above does sound like a TV trying to be clever with processing and actually making things worse. I turn these things off when I buy a TV and then gradually experiment with them individually to see if any actually do improve things. I've never heard of TV Direct or ElectriQ, sorry. Finlux does seem to get a good name, though.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Finlux is a brand name used by the Turkish company Vestel. They make a lot of rebadged TV's for supermarkets and names like Sanyo, Hitatchi, Ferguson etc. etc......Steer clear, these are budget sets and won't be up to the new tech standards required for 4K future.
    Using LG or Samsung panels doesn't mean a whole lot, it's the processing behind the panel that's the key.
    To be honest, if you are trying to do it on the cheap, you are wasting your time. Just spend the money on a decent HD set and save your bragging rights until you can afford to go all in 4K....Buy cheap 4K and you will definitely regret it.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • DEBTMONKEY1A
    Options
    Thanks all! Rumrat, for the sake of not much over £100 extra I think I'll go with the fully backlit smart 48 inch Samsung. Nothing to touch it pricewise. Not HDR but as per the helpful advice on here it's not 'got its house in order' yet and a decent set makes up for it. The Samsung is fully backlit as well & all connections etc are future proof. Will keep thread updated once purchased. I,be 1 other question re a setting but will start a new thread. Again, thanks all!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My husband was told by a customer (tv dealer), whose friend is a Panasonic rep, that big brand tvs, made for supermarkets (obvious as you can't buy the model number anywhere else) are made down to a price,by using inferior parts.

We swear by Panasonic (from Richer Sounds).
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    My husband was told by a customer (tv dealer), whose friend is a Panasonic rep, that big brand tvs, made for supermarkets (obvious as you can't buy the model number anywhere else) are made down to a price,by using inferior parts.

We swear by Panasonic (from Richer Sounds).

So Richer Sounds do not supply the Panasonic's assembled by Vestel? https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-tell-if-your-tvs-a-vestel.2019864/
  • harz99
    Options
    FWIW, my replacement tv from Richer Sounds was a Panasonic, not a Vestel one either.
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Bauhn 49 Inch Ultra HD 4K Smart TV
    £ 329.99

Aldi pretty good as a rule. 3 Year warranty
  • harz99
    Options
    hans_2 wrote: »
    Bauhn 49 Inch Ultra HD 4K Smart TV
    £ 329.99

Aldi pretty good as a rule. 3 Year warranty

Reviews for Bauhn TV's are not good, just Google and read/see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure