Sole trader and business name

Options
Hi. I'm going to be registering as sole trader. I'll be using Etsy (and possibly ebay) so have a username.

Does this username class as a business name? If so, do I need to state this anywhere such as when doing taxes?

Do I need to state my legal/personal name on Etsy and/or ebay and add (name) "trading as" (username)?

If I open a business Paypal account do I have to use my legal name or can I use the username (or both) so people don't get confused seeing a different name (or does using that make it a business name)?

Also does the name on my bank account make a difference to the Paypal account name? My bank account will be under my legal name. Should both be the same or does it not matter as long as Paypal know who I am as even giving a username they'll surely still have to have my legal name?

Thanks.

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do I need to state my legal/personal name on Etsy and/or ebay and add (name) "trading as" (username)?

Yes, people doing business with you need to know your personal name and address. Exactly where that information will be shown will vary between platforms etc. It doesn't have to be immediately obvious to buyers (i.e. in the listing itself) but it does need to be "find-able", i.e. in your seller profile or in your terms of business, etc., that a prospective buyer can see before they commit to buy.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Yes, people doing business with you need to know your personal name and address. Exactly where that information will be shown will vary between platforms etc. It doesn't have to be immediately obvious to buyers (i.e. in the listing itself) but it does need to be "find-able", i.e. in your seller profile or in your terms of business, etc., that a prospective buyer can see before they commit to buy.

Thanks. On ebay it's easy to see business seller details. Looking through Etsy previously I never noticed it. Looking specifically for that now I see some do, but it seems there's quite a few who don't.

Will I need to state on tax returns or anything that I'm trading under that business/username or does it not matter?
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need to put a business name on your tax return. You're a sole trader so you and the business are one and the same.

In terms of a business displaying their name in general. Sometimes you get things John Smith T/A J.Smith Butchers or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure