DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    defected wrote: »
    .........A couple of questions if anyone can help, i have several credit cards with Barclaycard and therefore owe that creditor a large amount, does this make them more likely to take court action?
    I also have a mortgage with barclays, is this the same company? could this cause an issue, are they more likely to go for a charge on the property?
    thanks in advance x

I can't really advise re the mortgage situation, but I thought Barclays and Barclaycard were separate entities, albeit part of the same brand. I somehow doubt they'd go for a charge on your property to pay off credit card debts and if that were the case I would have thought they'd have to go to court for that. I'm sure others will be able to advise better though.

So I just really wanted to share my experience with Barclays in general. At the beginning we also had several Barclaycard debts and Barclays loans and combined they added up to quite a significant sum, certainly the majority of our starting £85k debt. Throughout the last 5 years each account has been dealt with individually and they've never treated them as a composite debt.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Oh dear... am so sorry to hear this, but on the plus side you have a great mindset and a strategy to deal with whatever follows. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I hope you find gainful employment soon and can put your redundancy money to better use than paying for the basics.

My workplace as, yet again, initiated an organisational review (3rd in the 11 years I've worked here) and this time I'm less convinced my job will survive the inevitable cuts. But like you, I feel much more able to handle the consequences if that is the case and it may well expedite my retirement plans :D

Have you thought about 'fixing' your mortgage deal so you don't have to worry about interest rate rises? I've recently switched my over from a BMR to a fixed saving a few £s in the process, but saving money wasn't the driver - I just wanted to be certain of our mortgage payments for the next 3 years and so I can start overpaying once the DMP is cleared.

Thank you :beer::beer:

Regarding our mortgage deal.... we are not on a deal, we area just tracking the base rate. We pay 0.5% above the base rate at the moment - that was the mortgage offer after our deal ended and so that is the best option for us. If rates start to rise too much we will look at options available to us :D
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well the first of the CCA request replies arrived today from PR*....they would like to advise us that they are unable to supply us with the requested document and therefore at the moment the debt is UE!!!:T They then go on, in what I imagine is the standard letter, to say this doesn't mean we won't have to pay and they are still entitled to contact us or pass the debt on to another DCA etc etc. They then end up saying it is now being passed to the collections department.

The total of this particular debt is only about £290...(our second lowest debt we have). So hoping they will realise it isn't worth the hassle of admin costs to pass it on or chase us for it and will settle for a very, very small amount. :rotfl:
  • January2015
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Well the first of the CCA request replies arrived today from PR*....they would like to advise us that they are unable to supply us with the requested document and therefore at the moment the debt is UE!!!:T They then go on, in what I imagine is the standard letter, to say this doesn't mean we won't have to pay and they are still entitled to contact us or pass the debt on to another DCA etc etc. They then end up saying it is now being passed to the collections department.

The total of this particular debt is only about £290...(our second lowest debt we have). So hoping they will realise it isn't worth the hassle of admin costs to pass it on or chase us for it and will settle for a very, very small amount. :rotfl:

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Write back and offer them £29 as full and final settlement (use national debtline template letter). Worth every penny of £29 to get it marked as satisfied on your credit reference agency files ;)
  • System
    Options

Write back and offer them £29 as full and final settlement (use national debtline template letter). Worth every penny of £29 to get it marked as satisfied on your credit reference agency files ;)

Will they mark it like that if we settle for that low? It is already defaulted.
  • January2015
    Options
    Will they mark it like that if we settle for that low? It is already defaulted.

Yes, if they accept an offer to settle, they mark the account as satisfied - regardless of the amount :j
  • System
    Options
    :rotfl:
    Yes, if they accept an offer to settle, they mark the account as satisfied - regardless of the amount :j

How exciting.....:rotfl:...I will write tonight. Is it just the normal letter template that says about F&F offers? There's not another one with regard to it being UE or anything?
  • System
    Options

Should I just use the F&F template letter as it is? Or is it best to modify it with any mention of it now being UE?
  • January2015
    Options
    Should I just use the F&F template letter as it is? Or is it best to modify it with any mention of it now being UE?

I would use the template as it is. They will know they have told you it is currently unenforceable :)

My logic is don't add words to templates in case you tie yourself up in knots you may regret later on :rotfl: Stick to what is an industry recognised template/wording :D
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    DMP finally sorted. Start 1st May, SC contacting all creditors within the next 10 days. Token payments to be made as suggested. Finally on the road to Debt Freedom.
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure