DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Hi carbootcrazy

If one of your debts are unenforceable I think you should not be paying it not even £1 as it will never become statue barred , I am currently doing it with 4 of my creditors, I am only concentrating on the ones who have the proper paper work, if the other 4 find the correct paper work then I will pay them.:T

Max

It doesn't matter if it's statue barred if it's unenforceable via a failed CCA request. Both have the same result, protection from court claims. An unenforceable debt doesn't become more unenforceable because it's statute barred after all.

This is why I would never accept a creditor saying that a debt in unenforceable "At this time" etc. And get them to say they've stopped looking, will never look again and accept that the debt is effectively the same as a statute barred debt.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Max_and_sasha
    Options
    Hi stopit

I think you are missing my point

If anyone keeps paying an unenforceable debt then it will never become statue barred and there's always a chance of the DCA finding the cca, as for getting a DCA to admit they will stop looking for it I think they would probably just sell the debt on

Max
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »

Edit: One of them is unenforceable? Write to them telling them it's either £1 or nothing until they come up with an acceptable (Read: tiny) F&F as they know they can't do a darned thing about that one.

Thanks for all the advice. I've just copied this last bit as I think I should tell you that I don't plan on reminding them that the debt is unenforceable until I have a reasonable amount saved towards a good F&F deal. Then I'll do as you say and snatch their hands off if it's a good 'un;). At the moment I couldn't afford even 10% of the debt but by the end of the summer I should be able to. I know January negotiated 10% with one of her creditors (not 10% off but 10% to pay:j)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi stopit

I think you are missing my point

If anyone keeps paying an unenforceable debt then it will never become statue barred and there's always a chance of the DCA finding the cca, as for getting a DCA to admit they will stop looking for it I think they would probably just sell the debt on

Max

Interesting discussion going on here:T. I'm a bit confused though as I thought it takes 6 years of no contact by either side to result in something becoming Statute Barred. Or have I misunderstood?:o

I certainly don't want even a glimmer of my debts still being around that far ahead:eek:.
  • vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know who it was that accepted 10% ?
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    vaper wrote: »
    Do you know who it was that accepted 10% ?

It was January2015 that did it but I'm sorry to say I can't recall who it was with:o. I'm sure I recall someone else on here posting about a 10% settlement figure too.

I'm a bit busy at the moment but will see if I can find the info you want and report back later:). Unless January drops in and lets you know. Haven't seen her for a while, I hope she's OK.
  • Max_and_sasha
    Options
    Hi carbootcrazy

If you keep paying them even £1 that is still acknowledgement of the debt therefore it will never become statue barred, I stopped payment to 4 of my creditors in may this year so roll on may 2022 ( 5years as I live in scotland) then it will become statue barred as I am not paying them until they produce the correct paper work, hope this helps ,

Max
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Shouldn't be paying anything towards an unenforceable debt as max an Sacha said, you are acknowledging the debt by doing so.

I would cease payments to it straight away carboot.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 4 August 2017 at 7:24PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Shouldn't be paying anything towards an unenforceable debt as max an Sacha said, you are acknowledging the debt by doing so.

I would cease payments to it straight away carboot.

Thanks. I was carrying on paying tokens as someone else posted earlier, to keep communication channels open.

If I stop, should I write to Link and explain why I've stopped paying or just disappear off their radar?
  • vaper
    vaper Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Does this only apply to unenforceable debts?
    Don't put menthol vape juice in your eyes!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure