🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Identity Theft through catalogue.

Options
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to help reclaim PPI on behalf of someone so that they do not need to pay company to do it for her.
I know Identity theft probably comes under CPP or something else but I was wondering can it be claimed back as she didn't really want or ask for it? I am unsure as it is through a catalogue account and can't find a lot of information on the subject.

She has had an account with Littlewoods catalogue for a while now, and has been paying monthly for Identity Theft. When she was sold this they were very pushy with their sale and in the end she agreed as they scared her into thinking if she did not purchase it her details could easily be stolen, fraud committed in her name etc.

I believe the company providing the protection is Shop Direct, but it was sold through Littlewoods. (Not 100% sure).

She has tried to cancel it on two occasions but they have talked her out of it both times and on insisted she kept it.
If anyone can help answer my questions I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

So my questions are:
1. Can she claim back her money she has been paying for the identity theft over the years? (Surely her details should be protected by Littlewoods or the bank even without purchasing ID theft? Not entirely sure how it works, but I've read it's useless as this should be provided regardless. Please bare with me as I'm new to all this, any advice is appreciated).
2. If she cancels the ID theft, and she is able to claim, should she cancel before or after making a claim?
3. If she can claim, should she write to Shop Direct asking for a refund because she believes it was mis-sold?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1. No
    2. After
    3. N/A
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    scar94 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm currently trying to help reclaim PPI on behalf of someone so that they do not need to pay company to do it for her.
    I know Identity theft probably comes under CPP or something else but I was wondering can it be claimed back as she didn't really want or ask for it?

What next? Claim she didn't need or want the items she bought from the catalogue, or she could have got them cheaper elsewhere, so she wants a refund on that account as well?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    She can complain she didn't understand the product, and see what happens.
    Don't hold your hopes out though...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do any complaint in writing, obtain proof of posting (free from the PO) and that will avoid pushy sales people on the phone
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The CPP refund scheme ended some time back...
  • Denise_Turner
    Options
    Nat/West contacted me about missold CPP for I had left them over the amount being charged. They could see it had been missold and sent me a cheque for the full amount taken plus interest since 2002. About £250.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport