PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Buyer's awol- agent not helping

Options
13»

Comments

• ajm410
    ajm410 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Perhaps the buyer hasn't obtained a mortgage yet. We live in an impatient world. Not everybody works 24/7.

I've been told the buyer doesn't need a mortgage
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    Options
    ajm410 wrote: »
    I've been told the buyer doesn't need a mortgage

By whom? And why would you believe them?
  • ajm410
    Options
    sparky130a wrote: »
    By whom? And why would you believe them?

By the estate agent
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hoploz wrote: »
    They would still have appointed a solicitor who should have made contact before now.

Why? If matters don't proceed further then the client isn't going to pay for time expended. Once mortgage is obtained then matters will proceed. Searches commenced etc.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I do think that the OP is taking some stick with this 'completing within four weeks' condition. Let us all remember that this was not the condition of the OP, but the buyer, who has now gone quiet.

I think it is a bloody cheek that the buyers gets a reduction in the price in order to complete quickly - and then fails to engage, much less complete.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Perhaps the buyer hasn't obtained a mortgage yet. We live in an impatient world. Not everybody works 24/7.

They shouldn't really have signed up to a condition to complete within 4 weeks then.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They shouldn't really have signed up to a condition to complete within 4 weeks then.

I don't know how many times you've moved house in your lifetime. 20 working days is a serious challenge. Requires all parties to be on the ball. Documents to be readily available. No spaneers. This sounds like a case of over optimism. Or alternatively a complete time waster from whom words came cheap. In an attempt to negotiate a better price. Personally I wouldn't have accepted such an offer. Without knowing the buyers full circumstances.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    I don't know how many times you've moved house in your lifetime. 20 working days is a serious challenge. Requires all parties to be on the ball. Documents to be readily available. No spaneers. This sounds like a case of over optimism. Or alternatively a complete time waster from whom words came cheap. In an attempt to negotiate a better price. Personally I wouldn't have accepted such an offer. Without knowing the buyers full circumstances.

That's true but irrelevant. You implied it was impatient to expect them to live up to a condition they proposed for a certain price.

If someone tells me he will run a mile in 2 minutes if I pay him £5, it doesn't matter if I think its impossible or not. If he doesn't do it, I don't owe him £5.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some people say that they don't need a mortgage but what they actually means is that they won't need a mortgage after they have sold their house.
  • ajm410
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for your help as the EA has just confirmed they will not be charging me for pulling out. Scare tactics indeed!

Thanks so much once again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family