Border Force Customs Charges

Options
I recently had a parcel intercepted by the Border Force Customs and a charge levied at £18.28 (10.28 Customs + 8.00 Post Office Handling Fee)

The parcel was a set of keys, my own property send from the USA.

I challenged the Border Force Customs and have received a refund for the £10.28 but not the Post Office £8 which is fixed.

Has anyone any experience of trying to reclaim the Post Office fee on a parcel which was incorrectly charged in the first instance.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have successfully reclaimed the £8 administration fee from Royal Mail (it's not the Post Office) using P58 form downloadable from their website. If you submit it with copies of your BF refund and a full explanation they will refund.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    somewhere on the site? Have a memory of that one dragging on for ages...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    Options
    Here it is:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=592233

LOADS of comments there on this charge...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
  • Captain_Fishy
    Options
    I have successfully reclaimed the £8 administration fee from Royal Mail (it's not the Post Office) using P58 form downloadable from their website. If you submit it with copies of your BF refund and a full explanation they will refund.

Many thanks for the reply and providing the guidance on the form P58 I presume you mean this one .....
    http://www.royalmail.com/business/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-inland-claims-form-P58.pdf
    .....having had a shufty at it it does not quite seem relevant to my situation? Could you explain further? Thanks in advance
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not do your own clearance and avoid the charges altogether?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Why not do your own clearance and avoid the charges altogether?
    How does he do that, given that clearance has already taken place?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many thanks for the reply and providing the guidance on the form P58 I presume you mean this one .....
    http://www.royalmail.com/business/sites/default/files/Royal-Mail-inland-claims-form-P58.pdf
    .....having had a shufty at it it does not quite seem relevant to my situation? Could you explain further? Thanks in advance

Most of it isn't relevant, fill in what you can and in the details section put the facts of the case in. Add your relevant paperwork, photocopy everything and post it off to them with a covering letter.

Unfortunately I've tried the letter only approach and they won't entertain it without the form. Computer says no type of thing.
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    But if it was the OP's already property then the value should have been zero. So why does the op post the value was £10.28?
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    How does he do that, given that clearance has already taken place?

He would have done it when ordering.

Customs charges are not a new issue and the way to reduce them to just any duty payable has been done here quite a few times already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure