Not sure where to post but its related to benefits!

Options
Hi

I'm disabled and in adapted housing. My rent is usually paid by HB and I now have to pay BT cos its 2 bedroomed (only place big enough to get an electric wheelchair round when I moved in 10 yrs ago).

My dad had remarried by the time he had passed on so my inheritence is in the house he had with my stepmum. I was going to get that when she had passed but she has decided to sell her house, give me my money thats written in my dads will and move into a smaller place herself.

My question is, once I have been given that money my HB will stop and I'm wondering if my HA will still let me stay as long as I can pay the rent as its adapted?

If I had to move out cos I no longer needed HB it would probably use all the money if I could get a place for £70k but even then properties near me at that lower price are tiny and most you can't get a wheelchair in the front door let alone the tiny bathrooms (here I have a purpose built wet room).

I'd need a garden for my assistance dog too so I can just open the door and let him out safely. There's nothing else like my adapted bungalow in my area so would I be able to find some kind of advocate who may be able to persuade them to let me stay here paying the rent?

As I'm unable to work anyway the money would eventually run out and I'd have to reapply for HB. I'd prefer to use the money to pay my rent here as long as possible as I like my bungalow and the area. I may treat myself to a new all terrain mobility scooter (about £5-£6,000) as I can't drive and my dog and I enjoy our runs out around the countryside (I live rurally) would that be classed as depletion of capital? .. or would it only be classed as that if I had to try and buy a place because they said I had to move out if no longer on HB?

I'm also nearly 50 anyway so not too far off qualifying for over 55's property and will need adapted housing for the rest of my life. Would they allow me to stay do you think if I could pay the rent privately for a few years, but would eventually be going back on HB?

I'm just worried about losing my adapted home rather than having to use the money to pay my rent as I know there's no where else adapted suitable to move to especially within the amount I'm likely to get.

Thanks

Leighan

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    as long as the rent is paid, the HA wont care if its paid by you or by housing benefit!

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as the rent's being paid, I can't see it making any difference as to whether that's housing benefit or paid privately.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Leighan
    Leighan Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    oh thanks..I wasn't sure cos you know that program on TV where they give the people the full years money in one go (£26,0000 or something) one of the people had a letter from her landlord saying she had to move because she was no longer on HB and I was just worried it maybe the same for my property as its classed as 'social housing' so I was panicking a bit!
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Because HB is a means tested it is affected by capital (savings). When you have savings over £16k you become ineligible for HB. Between £6k and £16k you cam claim HB, but it is reduced by an assumed tariff income from your savings.
    If you get Council Tax - contact your local council when the inheritance arrives in your bank account.
    This is also means tested, and the capital limit varies from council to council.

As long as you continue to pay your rent (with or without the help of HB), I'm sure your tenure will be fine. To put your mind at rest you could check with your housing association / provider.

If you receive PIP or DLA this won't be affected by your inheritance.

If you receive ESA - this might be. If it is income-based it is subject to the same capital limits as HB (£16k in savings). If it is contribution-based it is not means tested, so will continue.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i saw that programme ... she was in a private let and her landlord only accepted tenants on benefit because he was guaranteed that the rent would be paid.

you're in social housing and you wont be evicted unless you stop paying rent ( by whatever means)

as for your deprivation of capital question ....

a new mobility scooter would be fine, its just luxury holidays and expensive presents that would be frowned upon
  • Leighan
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Because HB is a means tested it is affected by capital (savings). When you have savings over £16k you become ineligible for HB. Between £6k and £16k you cam claim HB, but it is reduced by an assumed tariff income from your savings.
    If you get Council Tax - contact your local council when the inheritance arrives in your bank account.
    This is also means tested, and the capital limit varies from council to council.

As long as you continue to pay your rent (with or without the help of HB), I'm sure your tenure will be fine. To put your mind at rest you could check with your housing association / provider.

If you receive PIP or DLA this won't be affected by your inheritance.

If you receive ESA - this might be. If it is income-based it is subject to the same capital limits as HB (£16k in savings). If it is contribution-based it is not means tested, so will continue.

I've just paid my council tax bill for the year online at the beginning of the week, so its paid up to April 2017 now?

I do get ESA income based I believe, I'm in the support group. I'm still on the old DLA (highest for both) but no idea whether my letter to change to PIP will have come by the time my stepmum has sold her house and I've got the money in my account. Obviously if I don't get enhanced for both it won't be as much as a stress if I had the money by then.

I knew HB and ESA was means tested and would stop and that DLA/PIP was not means tested, completely forgot about council tax! ..so thanks for reminding me I'd need to let them know too! ..what woudl they do then as I've already paid for the year? The reductions it says on my bill are 'reduction for disabled valuation' (cos its a wheelchair adapted bungalow) '25% reduction - only adult resident' and 'council tax support - working age scheme'

I'd still be the only resident and it will still be an adapted property but I'm guessing the last one maybe related/dependent on income? ..so would I have to pay back the CTS amount? or the difference between the full charge for this band and the amount I had left to pay?
  • Leighan
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    i saw that programme ... she was in a private let and her landlord only accepted tenants on benefit because he was guaranteed that the rent would be paid.

you're in social housing and you wont be evicted unless you stop paying rent ( by whatever means)

as for your deprivation of capital question ....

a new mobility scooter would be fine, its just luxury holidays and expensive presents that would be frowned upon

Yay!!! ... off scooter shopping!! (online) :D I'm agoraphobic and can't cope with busy places so not been on holiday since the year 2000! Luckily as I live rurally and the place is like a ghost town when everyone's gone to work and school, (or early mornings at weekend/bank holidays) I can cope with taking my dog for a quiet walk when we have the place pretty much to ourselves! So been able to walk my dog myself is my last little bit of independence and freedom.

Haven't even been to the nearest town for a few years since the inlaws had to take me to the bank to set up the DD for bedroom tax, hate having to go into town! ..

I might get another dog, probably rescue one as I enjoyed having two dogs for a few years until my eldest dog passed away, but I'm not someone whose into designer clothes and perfumes etc. My scooter gets the heaviest use getting my dog out in all weathers twice a day everyday so that would be my biggest expense as I get through so many of them! - most are only designed for pavements not the fields and hills I drive round daily so they only tend to last a couple of years before the motor's burn out! so it's more a practical necessity than a luxury.. think farm style landrover (or quad bike) rather than Rolls Royce or Ferrari! :D
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    I would imagine you would continue to receive the reduction for disabled valuation, and the 25% reduction - only adult resident. It would be the council tax support that would be affected, but only from the date you receive the money.

Re deprivation of capital - I wouldn't worry to much.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Leighan wrote: »
    I've just paid my council tax bill for the year online at the beginning of the week, so its paid up to April 2017 now?

I do get ESA income based I believe, I'm in the support group. I'm still on the old DLA (highest for both) but no idea whether my letter to change to PIP will have come by the time my stepmum has sold her house and I've got the money in my account. Obviously if I don't get enhanced for both it won't be as much as a stress if I had the money by then.

I knew HB and ESA was means tested and would stop and that DLA/PIP was not means tested, completely forgot about council tax! ..so thanks for reminding me I'd need to let them know too! ..what woudl they do then as I've already paid for the year? The reductions it says on my bill are 'reduction for disabled valuation' (cos its a wheelchair adapted bungalow) '25% reduction - only adult resident' and 'council tax support - working age scheme'

I'd still be the only resident and it will still be an adapted property but I'm guessing the last one maybe related/dependent on income? ..so would I have to pay back the CTS amount? or the difference between the full charge for this band and the amount I had left to pay?

When you receive the inheritance tell the Department of Works and Pensions (for your ESA)

They will cease your claim and contact the HB with the date to stop the claim
    This is when you start paying the rent and council tax

Your council tax account will still show the Single Person Discount and the disabled downbanding as you are eligible to claim that

Please keep receipts for all major purchases e.g the scooter as they may be needed when you re-claim
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Alice_Holt
    Options
    Tell the council at the same time as the DWP.
    You need to inform both of any change in circumstances.
    Just telling the DWP could lead to an overpayment of HB & CTr.

Keep proof that you have notified them both of the change in circumstances, in case of any admin errors / confusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure