RyanAir Bandits

Options
:mad: Just got back from a "cheap":mad: "relaxing":mad: weekend in Barcellona.
Quite prepared for the usual money making scams of the "low-cost"airlines, like charging for hold baggage and the 15kg weight limit, my wife and i took the minimum for the weekend. 1 case each for the hold luggage - 14.9kg and 14.2kg for the other, and two bags (max size) for the cabin. Outgoing no problems sailed through arrived Reus on time, had a great time lovely weekend-- great, problems arrived when we got back to the airport to come home, departure hall was packed 4 uk flights due out over a 3 hour period with ques everywhere, lots of unhappy sweaty people. I was only when we got nearer the check-in desks we found people un-packing and re-packing bags, swearing and cursing etc. etc. and all because of the excess baggage charge.

:D I thought, well, they all knew the rules 15kg max. (Smug grin!)

I couldnt believe it when i reached the desk and MY cases weighed 16.8kg and 16.1kg respectively !!!! We had Bought NOTHING --AND we had left behind the shampoo, soap, and conditioner bottles !!!

I went mad, how can this be ? No way Pedro !!!!
It turns out almost 25% of the flight were being charged excess baggage, I demanded to see the manager and was told she would be down in half an hour,but as the desk was closing in 10 mins my bags would not be accepted. So after being threatened with not being allowed on the flight, AND a couple of security men I paid my 24 €uro and came home angry and annoyed about the blaitant rip off.
I am not going to contact Ryan air, I am going to ask the local trading standards office to look into the accuracy of their scales and using this, and other sites enlighten others to the rip-off tactics of Ryan-Air the rip-off airline.

Comments

• RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you weigh your bags yourself on your return? Is there no way they could have gained an extra kilo or so? Either way, I think you would be better off contacting RyanAir first to give them the opportunity to rectify the situation - trading standards will only act if they receive enough complaints, so there are no guarantees with them, whereas if you raise an isue with RyanAir, they might at least give your money back as a goodwill gesture.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I always find ryanair check-in staff quite lenient with the weight allowence! Mine hand luggage was 2kg over the limit going out to france once, and given that i was surrounded by people weighing a good 30kg+ more than me (i'm skinny!!), i jokingly offered to put alot of the clothes on and wear them onto the flight! The girl got the point and checked me in.

I would write to ryanair first and point out that their scales need calibrating!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    This is a common problem with the handling agents at Reus (and I think Girona too).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Labman_2
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    I would write to ryanair first and point out that their scales need calibrating!

...and/or ask for a copy of the Calibration Certificate for the scales, a copy of the Standard Operating Procedure for calibrating their scales, ask when the weights used to calibrate the scales were last independantly checked and when the procedure was last audited....it may not get you anywhere but....

.....can you tell I had to weigh stuff accurately as part of my job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure