New roof dispute - doesn't meet building regs - what do I do?

Options
13»

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    The OP clearly states:

'I was told the roof would meet building regs - but it doesn't'

Which part of this do you think is the customer's fault?

Unfortunately this shows a lack of knowledge of building. When the customer casually tosses this into the equation it is meaningless. It then gets picked up by the barrack room lawyers and away we go.

Which part of the Regulations was the work meant to meet? OP has remained silent on all issues. Was the roof to be done as repair and maintenance? Was the roof to be done as a storage area? Was the roof to be done as a habitable room? Was the work deemed new? This gives four different takes on matters.

Coupled to this is who supplied the materials, what price was quoted and so on. This all puts meat on the bones.

I respect your perspective on matters but your view of the building industry, and consumers engaging the building industry, is a country mile away from reality.

I wish you well with your quasi-legal qualifications.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    Mine are not quite zero as I did some contract law exams with my accountancy training. i know enough to know when to call in the legals, and have recently taken qualified legal advice on a similar matter.

So as I said, you're not qualified.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2017 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Unfortunately this shows a lack of knowledge of building. When the customer casually tosses this into the equation it is meaningless. It then gets picked up by the barrack room lawyers and away we go.

Which part of the Regulations was the work meant to meet? OP has remained silent on all issues. Was the roof to be done as repair and maintenance? Was the roof to be done as a storage area? Was the roof to be done as a habitable room? Was the work deemed new? This gives four different takes on matters.

Coupled to this is who supplied the materials, what price was quoted and so on. This all puts meat on the bones.

I respect your perspective on matters but your view of the building industry, and consumers engaging the building industry, is a country mile away from reality.

I wish you well with your quasi-legal qualifications.

I don't have any quasi legal qualifications.

You seem to regularly post views that blame consumers for your industry's lack of regulation that allows cowboys to flourish. You posted similar comments on my thread last year, and if I had listened to you I would have lost money to a cowboy builder. Fortunately, I did not listen to you, I took legal advice. You were talking rubbish.

It sounds as though you don't want consumers to use the justice system to get redress. I am pointing out that redress is available, I'm sorry if this offends or upsets you.

In this particular case I have expressed my view that the OP should not pay, and have pointed out the actions the OP should take.

This will leave the roofer in a position where he will need to take the OP to court, and I don't believe he will. He would need to argue that he should be paid for carrying out work that does not meet building regs. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure