use of home as office

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving
5 replies 3.1K views
Nicky321Nicky321 Forumite
1.4K Posts
How would i enter a recurring weekly amount crediting 2301 and debiting 7200 in sage? I need to enter this from June 2016 to date, and thought there must be an easier way instead of having to enter each individual entry.

Thanks in advance x

Replies

• c-mc-m Forumite
    754 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I just charge it as an expense once a year. Sorry I don't use Sage so can't help you with your journals.
  • trailingspousetrailingspouse Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto - I think last year we could deduct the princely sum of £208 for the fact that we use one of the bedrooms as an office. Never got along with Sage, so can't help with that.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicky321 wrote: »
    How would i enter a recurring weekly amount crediting 2301 and debiting 7200 in sage? I need to enter this from June 2016 to date, and thought there must be an easier way instead of having to enter each individual entry.

Thanks in advance x

When we had a home office (now in premises away from the house) we used 7100 as a rent for a single payment from the business each year. 7200 is for electricity.

You don't debit 7200, 7200 is a nominal code. It is the code you use against the transaction.

Why are you crediting a Director's loan account subsidiary?

The easiest way to record it is to use the bank account that is being debited, record a payment and use the NC 7200. Assuming the payment is going to a private bank account, there would be no journal credit showing in Sage.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eggha wrote: »
    ? OP wants to claim an expense incurred from the use of the home as the trading premises. Therefore it is of course a Debit to an expense account, it cannot be anything else. 7200 is "heat & light" which is usually used as the generic code for electricity/gas/other fuel/power costs

since OP is themselves paying for the cost from their personal (non business) bank account then it also cannot be anything other than a Credit to the DLA since that represents "money" injected into the business by its owner: DR expense (P&L) CR liability ie DLA (balance sheet)

I guess we will agree to differ then. We don't use 7200 as I said, we used the NC for rent 7100. Having had a VAT inspection and been trading for over 30 years I can guess that we've been using Sage and recording it in that way for about 18 years or so. Not now but up until about 2013.
  • rhysadamsrhysadams Forumite
    301 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I would do the charge at the end of the year, your accountant should do this for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals