Travel - Missed pre-booked train due to cancelled Taxi

Options
2»

Comments

• ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    What does your policy say about this? I can only find the summary on line and it says UK trips must be more than 25 miles from home and for 2 or more nights.

You'll also need to read the missed departure/connections part as some only provide cover by scheduled public transport.
    RS65 and your friends have nailed it - for a UK trip to be covered under most annual travel insurance - it must usually include 2 nights pre-booked accommodation.

So the whole debate about it being Uber or the insurance is not relevant. The trip was never insured. This is usually pretty clear in the policy summary / terms.

If it had been a covered trip - I suspect that the insurer would hold out successfully for you cutting it too fine - given the Uber driver cancellation only really cost you 7.5 minutes of waiting. Insurers would argue you should reasonably allow more time to ensure connections.

Sorry, on the chin and wiser next time as you say.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • darkh0rse
    darkh0rse Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just wanted to make sure of my options really. Would be silly to have paid insurance sat their unused.

At least it was a good day out!

Thanks all for the input.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    I can't vouch for uber and their booking t&c but i believe if a private hire taxi is booked to take you to a train station and they cause you to miss your train, you can demand they take you to the destination.

Certainly when i pre-book a taxi for the train station they always ask what time is my train and they always seem to turn up early, presumably due to the risks.

What do Uber t&c say?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't vouch for uber and their booking t&c but i believe if a private hire taxi is booked to take you to a train station and they cause you to miss your train, you can demand they take you to the destination.

Certainly when i pre-book a taxi for the train station they always ask what time is my train and they always seem to turn up early, presumably due to the risks.

What do Uber t&c say?

The OP didn't really pre book the taxi they simply went on the Uber App and requested a taxi asap and it said the next one would be there in 15 minutes. But after 7.5 minutes the App notified him that the selected taxi wouldn't be able to come and it would be another 15 minutes for the next one.

So the taxi wouldn't even know they were catching a train all they know is where the pickup and drop off points are and how much they are being paid.
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options

What do Uber t&c say?
    Ah but he didn't let the replacement Uber arrive 7.5 mins later than promised -so they never had the chance to deliver him in time or late.

Also - Uber's capitalised terms seems less than helpful to you aim.
    "YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT UBER DOES NOT PROVIDE TRANSPORTATION, LOGISTICS, DELIVERY OR VENDOR SERVICES OR FUNCTION AS A TRANSPORTATION PROVIDER OR CARRIER AND THAT ALL SUCH TRANSPORTATION, LOGISTICS, DELIVERY AND VENDOR SERVICES ARE PROVIDED BY INDEPENDENT THIRD PARTY CONTRACTORS WHO ARE NOT EMPLOYED BY UBER OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES."
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure