What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 20/03

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Morning :) I've woken up on my 1st day of week off and the weather looks grim and set to be rum all week! First day of sunshine is set to be on the Monday of next week!

Carrie I didn't rise to the challenge I'm afraid! I'll challenge you again & I'll list at least 2 things. You in?

So now I guess today's activities will be mainly indoors! Things I need/want to do:

* do first draft of masters application & email admissions to find out submission date
    * [STRIKE]check banking & reconcile accounts[/STRIKE]
    * [STRIKE]flylady[/STRIKE]
    * photo and list 2 things on fleabay
    * might go for a swim later. Will see how I feel...
    * soak gammon joint in a minute
    * bake some cheese straws while oven is on to finish off gammon joint
    *[STRIKE] have made madam's lunch for the day[/STRIKE]
    * read book for an hour
    * clean out my car
    * pot up horseradish plants given yesterday
    * water any seedlings that need it. A spout seed I had given up on germinated this morning :D

ok that'll do! Happy Monday guys x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for starting us off DNMS :) Horrible weather here too :(
    Woken up feeling a bit hot and headachey, so hope I am not 'getting' something :( Particularly as I have little GD today :eek: Anyway, just had some breakfast, and going to try some coffee - I always go off coffee when I am poorly. Have to see how it goes.

Today's plans:
    Ask OH to bring me back some bits of the brushwood on the bonfire pile at his community group HQ for free pea sticks :)
    Think of things to do with GD that aren't too taxing
    Check seeds in mini greenhouse thing, see if any have germinated
    2 ebay items to pack and post
    HM meals, not sure if DS is going to be here or not...
    Check banks later
    Check for surveys

Well, that doesn't sound very ambitious, but may have to do for today!
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2017 at 12:21PM
    Options
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Busyish weekend and very tired so just another little list

Packed lunch for DH & DS - Done
    Check Bank - Done
    Baking - Done (Banana cake with oats and a few choc chips, oat biscuits)
    Sort magazines for hairdresser - Done
    Wait for freeglers -
    Wait for chest of drawers to be delivered for DS's room -
    Filing & shredding -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Surveys -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Lucky Phone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -
    Read (need to pick a new book from shelf) -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The weekend was over way too quickly and I feel a bit like yesterday was a wasted day. I could happily have spent another day in bed today as I still don't feel 100%, I don't know what's wrong with me. In good news though the salt water rinses for my tooth seem to also be helping my sore throat.

I've brought in breakfast and lunch today and have added a couple of things to my table top sale pile! I'm still on the email list for the last place I worked and they all had free breakfast subs this morning, bah!

I've a pile of washing to hang up tonight that I couldn't face doing yesterday but it's all folded neatly, plus another couple of loads to go in, I'm not keen on putting it on when I'm out now as a friend had a washing machine fire recently.

I might finally get around to cooking the courgette and anchovy spaghetti tonight, I just need to buy more garlic for it.

I'll probably have an early night with EastEnders to try to shake off whatever is knackering me at the moment.

Have a good day all :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    FVD I have what I consider to be a fairly strong physical reaction to dental work. So when I had the work done last week the rest of the day was a complete right off. I felt ghastly. The next day I felt like I was coming down with something, slight temp so very slightly feverish and achy. Felt like this in the evening the following 2 nights! I guess it is a combination of the pain relief, the adrenaline and the actual trauma to the body.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

DNMS - thanks for the kick off :A

Hope you feel better soon FVD!

I'm on lunch, sitting away from my desk so on my phone - typos ahoy I imagine!

-packed brekkie and lunch
    -paid holiday off with holiday fund saved up :A
    -paid cash into bank before is frittered away...
    -updated YNAB

I made another version of our soa yesterday. Real one is our actual position based on this year's salary and last year's spending. Then did another one of just my income - OH's job ends in may - alongside how we can make it work... Basically, no holidays, cutting down on gifts, no meals out and no new clothes. Seems doable...
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Been to circuits class which is part of my physio
    3. Showered using up samples of shower gel and body oil
    4. Ordered 3X£5 Debenhams e gifcards from my senses (Can't seem to get them to work on the website though so have printed them out inside)
    5. Meals from stores
    6. Surveys
    7. FPL
    8. Read free book
    9. Listen to Case File podcast
    10. Sort budget for week
    11. Update spreadsheet
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Afternoon moneysavers
    Was up early this morning for a hospital appointment. The weather was terrible, took my time and was slightly late, but done until the next one.
    Used up the last of the YS eggs for my daughter's breakfast this morning on 9p YS bread rolls I had sitting in the freezer.
    Parceled up the first lot of presents for my brother's birthday including my niece's present for a landmark birthday which I don't mind her opening early as she is due to go away on placement the end of March for 6 months. Using stamps from RM surveys for postage.
    Out later on for a meeting, hoping its a good one.
    Would love a NSD but need a few cat bits later. If i get everything at once I can get away with a NSD tomorrow and maybe Wednesday.

Ziggy-the banana cake sounds scrummy.
    FVD and DNMS- I don't know what I'm going to do when I next need dental work. I'm allergic to morphine so have been on lidocaine patches for a few years, hence resistant to the lidocaine at the dentist. when I last needed bits of tooth removing after I broke the root canal work, after the first injection in which I went into spasm(don't do very well with adrenaline), the dentist found it amusing to sit me in the waiting room for 10 minutes, with my arms and stump going like the clappers. My heart thought it was going to burst through my chest. we then found that despite maximum dose of injections plus all the pain relief I have at home I could still feel pain. Still have the bits of tooth but I think when the time comes it will be a hospital job unfortunately.
    I do think you feel beaten up when you have dental work done, especially if you have been carrying around toothache for a couple of days previously.
    Hoping you feel better soon FVD and DawnW I hope ur not coming down with one of the horrible bugs or colds doing the rounds at the minute.
    Off to get some washing sorted, have a good day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks, DNMS, it's nice to know it's not just me, (not that I want you to feel ill too but you know what I mean!) I really wanted to call in sick today but I'd have felt like such a fraud saying 'I had a tooth out on Saturday and I still feel really ill'.

HappyKitties, it's no laughing matter but it's really refreshing the way you are so matter of fact about your amputation!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all

I am in work, have a list of 10 people to ring back and they are all not answering, so have decided to take 10 minutes out for myself. So hello all.

Home life is beginning at 4.30, I take morning tea to lambing shed and come back in the house around 8.45 to be in the office at 9! Thankfully a very short commute to the office. Apart from very chapped hands I am doing OK.

Not spending lots of money. AS£A and DD are doing the groceries and I am staying ish on target. A few of the weeks I have had surprise visitors staying with DS or calling in for the day. Calculating the loss of lambs if I leave shed to cook is quickly resulting in quick bought in goods to keep us going instead. Not a problem and it is lovely to see people. As long as they are not pregnant. Any of you pregnant money savers, please stay away from lambing sheds.

So, I am trying to stay positive about everything.DH still does not acknowledge my attempts to money save and just spends what he likes whenever. It frustrates me beyond, as it is such a waste and makes it harder for me to stay on track. Feel like I have had a good cleansing moan.

My targets for 2017 are just to get through the year sticking to my mini goals. If I am successful in doing this it will be a great thing as there have been lots and lots of challenges to date.

Keep smiling all and lets hope the sun comes out and makes everyone fell better and the grass grow! My lambs are out in raincoats and their Mums do not like them.

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport