A couple of PIP questions

Options
2»

Comments

• micky2phones
    Options
    BlueMoonx wrote: »
    Hi

I have the PIP form which I'm helping to fill out for an Autistic relative.

I have two questions:

1) I have found the corresponding PDF online where it explains the points. On there it has information about preparing food. The claimant is able to cook a basic meal but they purposely overcook meats (they're scared they'll get food poisoning otherwise). Even when told something is properly cooked by someone else they'll continue to cook it until it is very overdone. We're talking cooking about maybe twice as long as most people would cook it and if frying/grilling until the meat is pretty much charred.

We'll obviously include it anyway, but is the above likely to be considered as not cooking to an acceptable standard? I'm not sure. It does say in the notes for 4 points that "This descriptor also applies to claimants who are unable to determine whether food is safe to eat – for example, that meat is properly cooked – due to sensory or cognitive impairment." I'm not sure if that is more aimed at people who may undercook food, though? I guess there may be health risks to overcooking food but they don't seem as obvious as those associated with undercooking food!

It does mention about overcooking on the Citizens Advice page (sorry, it won't allow me to post the link) but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts?

2) The claimant isn't great with communication, as you'd expect with someone with Autism. Has anyone experienced a face-to-face assessment for someone with Autism? I'd imagine they'll allow the person accompanying the claimant to have substantial input given the claimants limitations and somewhat unrealistic perception of some things?

Thanks!

Hi, IMO i think that if overcooking things would that not have the risk of causing a fire, smoke alarm going off, panic , stress etc ? Worst than having a case of food poisoning ? Just a thought
  • The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was there not some 'scientific' pronouncement (Food Standards Agency) a few weeks back about the dangers of eating 'burnt' food.
    Carcenogenic or some such.......
    So, presumably overcooked food can (long term) be just as dangerous as under cooked food.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/cancer-roast-potatoes-burnt-toast-starchy-foods-could-cause-cancer-acrylamide-food-standards-agency-a7540916.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure