Drilling holes in external walls in flat?

Options
Hello - we're thinking of buying a property in Scotland soon, and I had some questions regarding factored flats. Are you allowed to drill holes in the wall, say, for a vent for a tumble dryer, if the property is yours? Also, if we wanted an aerial installed on the roof, would we need permission from someone? Would it all depend on the factor?

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I've only rented flats before, so I'm not that familiar with how things work with regard to owning properties...

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Assuming leasehold works in the same way both sides of the boarder, you would need permission to drill holes & fix aerials. If the property is listed and/or in a conservation area, then you'd also need to check with the local authority to see if their approval is also required.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In Scotland, the factor normally only has a remit over the common areas of the property (and only exercises this on behalf of the individual owners). While you may need building control or planning permission to knock vent holes in the outside of the building (possibly including LBC as mentioned by Freebear), I don't think that would be one for the Factor. The roof, however, is part of the common property, so a new aerial should probably be mentioned to the factor.

I'd mention it as an aside during a conversation with the solicitor when you are buying and see what they say.
  • charlotte289
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Most of the properties we're looking at are in conservation areas, so planning permission will be a necessity, I think. I'll ask the solicitor about permission etc. when we put in an offer for somewhere.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leasehold only applies in England.

It is not up to the factor / management company to dictate what you are permitted to do. This will be detailed in the title deeds. Your solicitor will advise.

The local council will be able to advise regarding permitted development in a conservation area. For example, I would be very surprised if you would be permitted to install a satellite dish.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport