PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute over driveway

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Says this on the deeds for next door (when it says yellow, it is talking about the blue bit)

(d) Not to use the yellow land except for agricultural or residential
    garden purposes or as open space or for roads and services
    (e) Not to plant trees hedges shrubs or non-boundary fences on the
    yellow land
    (f) Not to alter the original level of the surface of the yellow land
    (g) Not to cover or obscure any manhole cover or chamber or other
    access or which relates to or which lies over the sewer in the yellow
    land
    (h) Not to allow

That marks the line of the sewer.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 2:51PM
    Options
    As the house is relatively new, the builders probably still have the original plans in the office , so may be able to clarify.

It does seem odd that the OP's property includes the drive in front of their lawn, making them responsible for upkeep, but having very little (actually no ) use for it; just needing the part near the public road.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The blue mark on the plan is not anything to do with a driveway it is where a sewer runs. The driveway has been moved. It originally ran down the side of the house opposite where there is now a small garden with a wall in front of it. It went over the side of the front garden of the house opposite and down the boundary of the OPs house. The furthest side wall of the garage almost lines up with the boundary of the OP's garden. I would say that at least 2/3rds of the width of the drive is on the OP's plot if not all of it.

The problem has been caused by whoever has put a garden on the driveway down the side of the house opposite. This garden is on top of the access drive to the next door neighbour's garage.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Personally - I looked at that diagram and came to the conclusion that I'm blowed if I could tell just who owned the driveway from that.
    The driveways aren't marked, but it's clear enough from the last picture posted..... and it sure beats all the speculation!
  • moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    13. Not to obstruct or cause or permit to be obstructed any road path
    drive or access area which serves the Ben Bailey Land in common with
    other land

what does this mean?
    Married 09/09/09
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    13. Not to obstruct or cause or permit to be obstructed any road path
    drive or access area which serves the Ben Bailey Land in common with
    other land

what does this mean?

Ben Bailey is the former name of builders Avant Homes, so this looks to be a condition laid down at the time the site was under development and it may not be relevant now.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe I'm being slow, but I'm confused.

1) Which Plan is for your property and which is the neghbours?
    2) what Plans are these? The developer/builder's or the Land registry?
    3) What do the respective LR Titles say?

I really don't believe this is not straight-forward in legal terms.

Whether you choose to enforce (or abide by) the strict legal rights/obligations, or have tea and cake and reach a common sense agreement is up to the two of you.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    The blue mark on the plan is not anything to do with a driveway it is where a sewer runs. The driveway has been moved. It originally ran down the side of the house opposite where there is now a small garden with a wall in front of it. It went over the side of the front garden of the house opposite and down the boundary of the OPs house. The furthest side wall of the garage almost lines up with the boundary of the OP's garden. I would say that at least 2/3rds of the width of the drive is on the OP's plot if not all of it.

The problem has been caused by whoever has put a garden on the driveway down the side of the house opposite. This garden is on top of the access drive to the next door neighbour's garage.
    Nobody has moved the driveway, you are mistaking the position of the garage on the map. The garage is shown as two rectanges on the edge of the land of 76. The land immediately north of that is a brick driveway.

The plans are very clear
    driveway.png

The red line is OPs boundary, blue line is 76
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    Nobody has moved the driveway, you are mistaking the position of the garage on the map. The garage is shown as two rectanges on the edge of the land of 76. The land immediately north of that is a brick driveway.

The plans are very clear
    driveway.png

The red line is OPs boundary, blue line is 76

This makes far more sense. OP only needs access to the very end portion to access their drive.

Parking opposite the window shouldn't be an issue...
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been nosy and from details shown ,found Google links to the properties. (Google Street and lettings)

Indeed the landlord did advertise as having a private drive, but the drive mentioned is much shorter and the front gardens smaller than the plans and photographs, on here, suggest.

Also, I can't understand why the OP needs access via the drive ,so it's odd that it wasn't originally allocated to the rear property alone and think the casual passer by would assume this was the case.

The letting ad photos also show that the house next door appears to have parking where there would usually be a lawn, so no need to park on the driveway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure