Overseas Spending

Sorry if I've got this on the wrong thread or something. I'm new to forums! Looking at credit cards which give free cash withdrawals abroad (eg Halifax Clarity). Appreciate the "free" is a bit of a stretch but as per MSE if you take cash out abroad then pay it back the same day using on-line banking, the interest barely has time to calculate, let along whack a charge of any significance on! Personally, I'm not keen with on-line banking on what will be a fairly insecure hotel "open" network. Would I be able to say pay into my credit card account an amount of money before hols from my secure home connection so it's in my credit card account which I'm just then drawing against when on hols? This would seem to work to me with the only catch being I'm taking cash out of a current account which pays a little bit of interest to sit in a credit card account earning nothing. Does anyone have a view on this?

Comments

• C.M.
    C.M. Posts: 79 Forumite
    It's usually a breach of the cards terms and conditions to preloaded / put the card in credit.

I use a santander zero for over seas cash withdrawal and spending - as soon as the transaction appears on my online account (usually 2 days) I makE a payment by faster payment

So far I've nevER had to pay any interest at all - despite the T&Cs saying that interest accumulates from the day of the transaction
  • Thanks CM. Just looking for a replacement for my soon to be defunct Norwich and Peterborough Debit Card.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Most of the Clarity and other travel card-related discussion is on the Flights, Currency and Car Hire or main Credit Card boards - its not really an aspect of Stoozing, is it?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Forumite
    C.M. wrote: »
    So far I've nevER had to pay any interest at all - despite the T&Cs saying that interest accumulates from the day of the transaction
    Are you sure? The current Zero card T&Cs (condition 4.6) state...
    4.6 We charge interest on all other Transactions (and related fees) and on other amounts (such as the Account fees in Condition 8.2) from the date they are added to the Account until you have repaid the balance on your Account in full.
    My original Zero card's T&Cs (held for several years now) say the same.
  • C.M.
    Yes, I am sure - I've been surprised each time!

The purchases or withdrawals, as I said, have been paid as soon as they appear on my app. Then when I've received my statement I always check to see what needs to be paid - and so far nothing ever has!

I've only had it since November, but it has no other promotions active, like 0%on purchases or bts etc......I don't know why it's happened, I never expected it to... but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth
  • C.M.
    Just checked my most recent statement - incase I was wrong.

I actually had 9 days pass between the transactions and payment in January, and the statement produced on 16.02.17 had a balance of zero, with a payment required of zero
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Forumite
    C.M. wrote: »
    Yes, I am sure - I've been surprised each time!

The purchases or withdrawals, as I said, have been paid as soon as they appear on my app. Then when I've received my statement I always check to see what needs to be paid - and so far nothing ever has!

I've only had it since November, but it has no other promotions active, like 0%on purchases or bts etc......I don't know why it's happened, I never expected it to... but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth
    You've missed the point I was making, namely the T&Cs do not say what you said they did. The "day of the transaction" is the date you entered your PIN, not the date you see it online or on your app.
  • C.M.
    Apologies - I have misted your initial post.

In that case, I stand corrected - interest should acres from the date the transaction is added to the account.

BUT again.....I have paid no interest at any point, despite - the January example I provided having around 7 days between the date it appeared on the account and my paying it off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure