SEPA or SWIFT bank transfer?

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Let's face it, nothing makes much sense in what is asked or 'clarified' by the OP, who could just as easily ask his four local banks himself about their fees for sending GBP overseas.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    This would be a reasonable question, not about the country - unless there is essential difference between some countries in SEPA.
    There are over 50 European nation states.

There are 34 countries in SEPA.

Which European country has some relevance as close to twenty won't touch SEPA. In those cases it just isn't an option.

Establishing which country at that point of the thread was totally relevant and I'm surprised a respected poster like you (1) doesn't seem to get it and (2) seems to want to keep digging rather than recognise the reason for the question.

Never mind.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    And I still don't get it, sorry.

Normally banks quote their fees just for something like 'international bank transfer'.
    Transfers to SEPA can cost differently, but would be the same to all SEPA countries.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    There are over 50 European nation states.

There are 34 countries in SEPA.

Which European country has some relevance as close to twenty won't touch SEPA. In those cases it just isn't an option.

Establishing which country at that point of the thread was totally relevant and I'm surprised a respected poster like you (1) doesn't seem to get it and (2) seems to want to keep digging rather than recognise the reason for the question.

Never mind.
    Exactly. I pointed this out in post #12 but it didn't stop the unnecessary antagonism of a certain respondent. Why? (or !!!!!! in modern parlance).
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 March 2017 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Guys, cool down, please.

By saying "SEPA or SWIFT" the OP clearly indicated that it was one of 34 SEPA countries. What's the point in discussing all 50?
    I'll be happy to stand corrected, but I think for a bank transfer it really doesn't matter what exactly country from SEPA it is.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Guys, cool down, please.

By saying "SEPA or SWIFT" the OP clearly indicated that it was one of 34 SEPA countries. What's the point in discussing all 50?
    I'll be happy to stand corrected, but I think for a bank transfer it really doesn't matter what exactly country from SEPA it is.

No, you inferred that.
    My take was that he didn't necessarily appreciate the differences. But I could be wrong.... in the absence of clarity from the OP we are all guessing, as so often.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Question:

Whats the cheapest fastest way to send into GBP account in Japan using SWIFT?

Which bank out of the banks I mentioned in 1st post is best for this or is transferwise.com still recommended?

Cheers,
  • hassanen
    hassanen Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2017 at 7:58PM
    Options
    great please just what i wanted . i work for a big company in frankfurt and i get payment quite often but fees are high , just got a payment from them with 200 euro , bank converted euro to pounds and they charged me 12 pounds now am worried if they sends 3-4 k euro how much they will charge is there a way i can get cheaper than this
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hassanen wrote: »
    great please just what i wanted . i work for a big company in frankfurt and i get payment quite often but fees are high , just got a payment from them with 200 euro , bank converted euro to pounds and they charged me 12 pounds now am worried if they sends 3-4 k euro how much they will charge is there a way i can get cheaper than this

The charge for receiving the money will be the same (£12).
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hassanen wrote: »

You already have your own thread about this, please don't hijack other peoples'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure