Halifax/Bank Of Scotland - Thousands in bank charges

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just asked for the charges back as they were unfair considering they were accrued due to overdraft fee's, not my spending. i,e: regular overdraft fee's would put me £10 over my overdraft, if it took me 10 days to get money to resolve this they would charge me £80 the next month.
    Not a valid complaint I'm afraid. The Banks won their court case on "unfair" charges eight years ago. Of course the charges were accrued by your (over) spending. You had the choice not to allow the overdraft to exceed your agreed limit. You were never going to get a full refund with a demand like that.

Go back to the Bank and explain your exact financial situation. You may well still get a goodwill refund of (some) charges, typically those from the last six months. Expect them to want to know exactly what incomings and outgoings you have. Remember they don't have to refund anything at all..
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just asked for the charges back as they were unfair

Charges are not unfair. I'm surprised they didnt reply telling you about the supreme court case.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just asked for the charges back as they were unfair considering they were accrued due to overdraft fee's, not my spending. i,e: regular overdraft fee's would put me £10 over my overdraft, if it took me 10 days to get money to resolve this they would charge me £80 the next month.

Paying it off with my bursary, not being supported by parents - technically living with my gran on paper

Unfair charges complaints will always be rejected due to the 2009 case

You need to go back to HBOS and explain you are in current financial hardship and ask for help, as you complained about unfair charges they will simply bounce it. Genuine hardship cases where you are living hand to mouth and stuck in a cycle of charges should be looked at properly and can mean a refund of some charges, a freeze of future charges etc

See details below

https://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/HelpCentre/dealing-with-financial-difficulties/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure