Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour

Options

Comments

• Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Options
    It's a sad state of affairs when law-abiding, decent people will do nothing to assist the police in the course of their duty to the community. We demand exemplar performance of them in increasingly dangerous times but object to helping them perform routine tasks that keep us and our neighbourhood's safe and/or in order.

We don't know why the police attend this flat but the fact that they do, sometimes in numbers, tells me there is good enough reason for them to do so and when you live in a community it is unrealistic to completely avoid that which happens within it imho.
    Mornië utulië
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It's a sad state of affairs when law-abiding, decent people will do nothing to assist the police in the course of their duty to the community. We demand exemplar performance of them in increasingly dangerous times but object to helping them perform routine tasks that keep us and our neighbourhood's safe and/or in order.

We don't know why the police attend this flat but the fact that they do, sometimes in numbers, tells me there is good enough reason for them to do so and when you live in a community it is unrealistic to completely avoid that which happens within it imho.

It's a sad state of affairs when the police who are attending a scene can't find the right doorbell to ring. :whistle:
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It's a sad state of affairs when the police who are attending a scene can't find the right doorbell to ring. :whistle:
    Thank you Anita Ward.

Some people don't mind helping; some hermits do :o
    Mornië utulië
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Anita Ward.

Some people don't mind helping; some hermits do :o

I think the OP is suggesting that she doesn't mind helping a bit, but this is annoying. It's not as if they thank her for her help.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    You say that your neighbour is expecting them. Couldn't you speak to him/her and ask them to come down to the door to let them in when s/he knows the police are coming ?
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You don't seem to understand that people have the choice whether to help or not. Most people are willing to help the police, however people should be given the option. And everybody has a limit as to what they're willing to do.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:04AM
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I never open my door without the chain on. It's basic safety, next time it might not be the police pushing past you.

You seem to be very selective in what you do not read in my posts and make a lot of assumptions.

It is a communal door, there is no "secure door entry system" as it is a house conversion not a block of flats so there is no chain or spy hole in the main front door.

Anyway, as I said it is sorted for now so till next time.....

Amd I am not looking to move away as I o ly moved in here in Dec last year and the first ti e Police was here for the same issue was on the day I was moving in - ringing mu doorbell.

Each doorbell has flat number clearly marked on it and special doorbell for the flat in question is very different anyway so easy to see

Thanks for all the useful comments everyone
  • Lord_Baltimore
    edited 20 March 2017 at 1:49AM
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    I think the OP is suggesting that she doesn't mind helping a bit, but this is annoying. It's not as if they thank her for her help.
    The least they could do is give her a 'Neighbour of the year' merit certificate for opening a door. :D
    You don't seem to understand that people have the choice whether to help or not. Most people are willing to help the police, however people should be given the option. And everybody has a limit as to what they're willing to do.
    Of course I understand that people have the choice whether to help or not but it doesn't invalidate my opinion that those not willing to help are insular. I'm happy to help the police, you're inclined not to help them on official, police business.

It takes all sorts I suppose.
    Mornië utulië
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am happy to help when help is needed but this is not help this is an unnecessary nuisance nothing more.

No idea why is it so hard to understand for some
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Options
    Well if it's annoying you that much, tell them you'll call the police if they do it again and when they come don't answer the door ;)
    Mornië utulië
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport