Demonising Diesel - should I get rid of my Diesel or stick with it

Options
13»

Comments

• Bonniepurple
    Options
    Stick with it. I'm a diesel owner and whilst I would probably buy petrol next time (due to my mileage patterns nowadays), I'm not going to start swapping cars on the strength of the latest concerns.

You say you bought a diesel because you were incentivised to do so. You've had the benefit of the lower tax and better economy (perhaps) that were presumably the benefits you saw when you purchased it?

I don't have much sympathy with the argument that the government is to blame for your purchasing decision. I don't know many people that slavishly buy cars of the type the government tells them to, and the knowledge and data of diesel emissions is not exactly new. Harmful emission types and levels from diesels have been known about for years and it was foreseeable that at some point, they would become a problem. We've had the economic benefit from diesel ownership (despite knowing of the environmental effects of diesel consumption), so now it's time to pay some of that back if we want to improve the air quality levels in towns and cities.

Exactly this. I changed from petrol to diesel 9 years ago because my mileage was approx 15k, mainly motorway miles. My circumstances have changed and my car is now used very much for short hops - so when it's time to replace it I will look at a petrol. It may be that we have one petrol (town car) and one diesel (distance car) - or I may well have given up on the (diesel) train being on time and drive down the M5 to work....
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd be inclined to stick with it, particularly if you are otherwise happy with the car and it suits your needs.

Changing a vehicle is an expensive business, the less frequently done the less the financial drain.
    If you have environmental concerns I could understand, or even if your were downshifting / changing it for a s/h electric car such as:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510308287820?sort=price-asc&fuel-type=Electric&postcode=sn11he&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=RENAULT&model=FLUENCE&page=1
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure